Author Topic: IS THE ERA OF TANKS OVER OR DOES RUSSIA JUST SUCK AT USING THEM?  (Read 554 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
IS THE ERA OF TANKS OVER OR DOES RUSSIA JUST SUCK AT USING THEM?
Alex Hollings | February 28, 2023

Last year, Russian tanks flooded over the border into Ukraine, intent on reaching Kyiv and displacing the country’s democratically elected government. But, Ukraine proved to be made of tougher stuff than most would have predicted.

In the weeks that followed, Russia’s massive numerical advantage seemed to do little more than provide Ukrainian forces with a target-rich environment, which laid waste to tanks and other armored vehicles by the dozen using inexpensive shoulder-fired weapons and improvised explosive-laden drones, capturing many of those left intact.

The Center for Strategic and International Studies think tank reported that by the end of the first month of fighting, Russia had already lost a full quarter of its massive invasion force, including 274 tanks. By September, the tally of lost and captured Russian tanks reached 1,000 — more than all the tanks in the British, French, German, and Finnish militaries combined.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/is-the-era-of-tanks-over-or-does-russia-just-suck-at-using-them/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Re: IS THE ERA OF TANKS OVER OR DOES RUSSIA JUST SUCK AT USING THEM?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 02:53:59 pm »
Russia has just forgotten how to use combined arms formations...their new BTGs were undermanned, and so there was little infantry support for the Russian armor on the roads into Ukraine, making their tanks sitting ducks.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 03:07:15 pm »
Tanks are becoming a little like battleships in WWII.  Still useful in appropriate circumstances, and if utilized appropriately, but no longer the end-all/be-all of a military strike-force.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 03:39:18 pm »
Tanks were first developed and used in WWI to break the stalemate of trenchwarfare on the Western Front.

Tanks are weapons for military campaigns of mobility.  Tanks are meant to keep moving forward.  Ask Patton.

A parked tank is a paper-weight.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 04:12:11 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 03:40:04 pm »
Russia sucks at combined arms assaults.  And because of that, their tanks become vulnerable.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 05:56:37 pm »
I don't know if the Russians just suck at it, but I can imagine tanks properly used would be very effective.  The key is controlling the skies.  It's a symbiotic relationship.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 11:38:47 pm »
I don't think you necessarily have to control the skies to use tanks, but you certainly can't use them effectively if the other guy controls the skies.

I agree with the comments that the Russian's didn't know how to use them.  Even if they did, the strategic decision to invade from so many different directions with comparatively few troops prevented the concentration of sufficient armor necessary to use it effectively.

But then, they never really expected the Ukrainians to fight back at all.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 11:50:13 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 12:46:41 am »
Tanks, like ships and submarines, are of limited and strategic use. Relatively stationary, concentrated, and open targets like these are not of as much value as they were in WWII. In the modern world today, we can know exactly where all these targets are all the time.

It is not so much an issue of finding them anymore. Today, the only issue is having the means and the ordnance to strike them. Sea power and tank battalions have become almost antiquated by satellite surveillance and air power, especially by modern drones.

A single Warthog A10 can take out dozens of ground targets with no risk to itself. Active seek and destroy torpedos can find and eliminate submarines if you know the general area where they are (which we do). And modern hypersonic cruise missiles can target and eliminate most ships.

The next modern war between advanced nations, will be a war of satellites, avant-guard technology, and air dominance. These relics from WWII, ships and tanks, will be eliminated in the first few weeks of the war provided there is enough munitions available to take them out.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 12:54:44 am »
Advanced handheld weapons render tanks obsolete - if the enemy has access to those weapons. If they do, tanks are just mobile crematoriums.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 04:26:11 am »
I don't think you necessarily have to control the skies to use tanks, but you certainly can't use them effectively if the other guy controls the skies.

I agree with the comments that the Russian's didn't know how to use them.  Even if they did, the strategic decision to invade from so many different directions with comparatively few troops prevented the concentration of sufficient armor necessary to use it effectively.

But then, they never really expected the Ukrainians to fight back at all.
I don't think you need to control the skies, but you need to keep your opponent from doing so.

The Nazis were effective at maneuver (combined arms) tactics so long as they had the armor moving, the air cover to keep other air forces off the armor, and infantry to back the armor on the ground. All three elements only guarantee some degree of success if they don't outrun their logistics tail.

That's what doomed the German Eastern advance, along with the raw and deadly Russian Winter.

The Russians never had that finesse, counting on throwing overwhelming numbers into the breach and overwhelming their opponent's ability to fight.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2023, 01:03:56 pm »
I don't think you need to control the skies, but you need to keep your opponent from doing so.

The Nazis were effective at maneuver (combined arms) tactics so long as they had the armor moving, the air cover to keep other air forces off the armor, and infantry to back the armor on the ground. All three elements only guarantee some degree of success if they don't outrun their logistics tail.

That's what doomed the German Eastern advance, along with the raw and deadly Russian Winter.

The Russians never had that finesse, counting on throwing overwhelming numbers into the breach and overwhelming their opponent's ability to fight.

:thumbsup:

Offline DB

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2023, 02:46:54 pm »

Hand held weapons technology advances have outpaced armor technology substantially.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2023, 03:25:29 pm »
Tanks, like ships and submarines, are of limited and strategic use. Relatively stationary, concentrated, and open targets like these are not of as much value as they were in WWII. In the modern world today, we can know exactly where all these targets are all the time.

It is not so much an issue of finding them anymore. Today, the only issue is having the means and the ordnance to strike them. Sea power and tank battalions have become almost antiquated by satellite surveillance and air power, especially by modern drones.

A single Warthog A10 can take out dozens of ground targets with no risk to itself. Active seek and destroy torpedos can find and eliminate submarines if you know the general area where they are (which we do). And modern hypersonic cruise missiles can target and eliminate most ships.

The next modern war between advanced nations, will be a war of satellites, avant-guard technology, and air dominance. These relics from WWII, ships and tanks, will be eliminated in the first few weeks of the war provided there is enough munitions available to take them out.

Not if you don't have air superiority, or can't suppress effectively enemy air defenses.  A-10's have been wildly successful for us precisely because we do gain air superiority or SEAD.

Tanks are still very useful if you use them in sufficient mass, and at sufficient speed.   Because even if you know where they are at a given moment, you may not know the axis of advance, and may not have enough anti-tank weapons to cover all those axis in depth.  If they breakthrough, and they can become difficult to stop if properly supported by infantry.  The Russians tend not to do the later, so the tanks become more vulnerable to man-portable ATGM's.