Author Topic: The Country We Loved Didn’t Love Us Back. Maybe This Time Would Be Different.  (Read 189 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Country We Loved Didn’t Love Us Back. Maybe This Time Would Be Different.
FEBRUARY 14, 2023| SADIA ALI HEIL

My room is my very own special place, will I decorate it with leather or with lace?

Grade school poetry at its finest, I wrote these deeply profound words while daydreaming about having my very own bedroom someday. An introvert within a boisterous Desi family, I longed for space to take a deep breath after a long day—a refuge with posters of butterflies and kittens, and a desk for my journals and sticker collection.

Being outdoors was my sanctuary back then. I caught tadpoles and turtles in a muddy creek with my brother and biked freely throughout the neighborhood with friends. We’d spin and jump off the steel roundabout at the playground and gather in a cul-de-sac with neighbors for sparklers and fireworks on the Fourth of July. After dark, my siblings and I would head home, where our family of nine squeezed into a three-bedroom, 1,320-square-foot townhouse.

I recently passed through my childhood neighborhood, and it was much smaller than I remembered. The wooden bus stop where Phyllis painted a wondrous lion mural with emerald leaves was gone. Vinyl slides and new swingsets replaced the steel roundabout at the playground near Rose’s house. Ms. White’s once-polished home looked almost deserted, and the pale siding on our old home appeared fresh.

https://thewarhorse.org/american-military-families-help-afghan-allies-build-new-life-2/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson