Author Topic: Washington DC City Council says bill for allowing noncitizens to vote is now law: report  (Read 105 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
WASHINGTON DC Published February 27, 2023 9:42pm EST
Washington DC City Council says bill for allowing noncitizens to vote is now law: report

The law allows for qualified noncitizens to vote as long as they reside in the city for at least 30 days
Louis CasianoBy Louis Casiano | Fox News

House Majority Whip Emmer vows to 'undo' DC council's policy allowing illegal immigrants to vote
House Majority Whip Tom Emmer, R-Minn., vowed congressional Republicans will "undo" the DC city council's law allowing noncitizens, including illegal immigrants, to vote.

A Washington D.C. effort to allow non-citizens, including undocumented immigrants and foreign diplomats according to the Wall Street journal, to vote in local elections is now law.

The City Council passed the Local Resident Voting Rights Amendment Act amid criticism from Republicans. Congress had a 30-day review period, during which lawmakers could have pushed to block the legislation.

The review period ended last week, the council said Monday, WAMU reported. The House pushed to block the D.C. law from taking effect but the Senate ran out of time before the review period ended.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/washington-dc-city-council-bill-allowing-noncitizens-vote-law
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson