Author Topic: Rod Dreher: Adventures In Heresy  (Read 163 times)

Online Kamaji

Rod Dreher: Adventures In Heresy
« on: March 01, 2023, 02:00:28 pm »
Adventures In Heresy

Bombshell: prominent US bishop accused progressive Cardinal McElroy of San Diego of excommunicable offenses

Rod Dreher
Mar 1, 2023

That's Cardinal McElroy of San Diego above. More on him in a moment. But first, when I was in Ireland recently, I met a man who told me, with sadness, that the Irish Catholic bishops don't even believe in themselves anymore. What does that look like? I wonder. Well, now I know:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1630618828878282752

Watch the clip. The Catholic protester taking it calls the priest a "heretic"; the priest says inviting a Muslim muezzin (chanter) into the church to chant is "the way of the Lord." Synodality, I think they call it. The clip ends with a shot from inside the parish, with the priest behind the altar, and a muezzin chanting to Allah on the side. For your information, there are 63,400 Muslims in Ireland, or 1.33 percent of the population.

This happened in 2020, at St. Patrick's parish in the County Mayo town of Ballyhaunis. By the way, there is a mosque in Ballyhaunis. Here's a news story about the controversy.

This is unspeakable. No imam would welcome Christians to pray inside a mosque, and he certainly should not! It would not be a matter of disrespect to Christians, but rather one of total respect for one's own religion -- that is to say, for God. According to a piece in the Irish Catholic newspaper:

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph -- Ireland! You'll recall the Irish bishop last year who sacked a priest for calling abortion, homosexuality, and transgenderism sinful in a sermon, and who (the bishop) apologized for the cleric's offense, saying the offender's words are "not the Christian position." Oh?

But there's a far more significant slinging of the "heretic" accusation. Yesterday, the American bishop Thomas J. Paprocki published a bombshell essay in First Things accusing Cardinal Robert McElroy of San Diego of heresy. McElroy's name doesn't appear in the piece, but he quotes McElroy's recent progressive essay in America magazine as evidence. From the Paprocki piece:

Paprocki goes on to explain why what Cardinal McElroy wrote constitutes formal heresy. (You can read more about what McElroy said in this blog post of mine, titled "Cardinal Screwtape".) I don't know how it can be denied, frankly. (And by the way, if Cardinal McElroy is guilty of heresy, so is Luxembourg Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich, who has described authoritative, magisterial Catholic teaching on homosexuality as "false.") Hollerich is not a nobody. Not only is he a prince of the Church, he is also the Jesuit (naturally) tapped by Pope Francis to lead the Synod on Synodality.

Do not assume that this is just a problem for Catholics. What's happening in the Roman Catholic Church is happening now in many other churches, and will happen eventually in all of them -- even yours and mine. The question is, who will have the courage to stand up for truth? Who will have the courage to live not by lies, no matter the cost?

Source:  https://www.theamericanconservative.com/adventures-in-heresy/

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rod Dreher: Adventures In Heresy
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 12:44:23 am »
Christianity has gone on a self-destructive bent.
At least in the Western world.