Author Topic: THE AMERICAN CHILD LABOR REGIME  (Read 148 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
THE AMERICAN CHILD LABOR REGIME
« on: February 28, 2023, 03:38:17 pm »

Home / General / The American Child Labor Regime
THE AMERICAN CHILD LABOR REGIME

BY ERIK LOOMIS / ON FEBRUARY 28, 2023 / AT 9:28 AM / IN GENERAL

For once, the massive amount of child labor in this nation is receiving attention. I talk about it frequently, but as a third-rate historian on a top 100 political science blog, let’s just say it hasn’t changed the world. But when the Times talks about it, it does get attention, including from the Biden administration. But as Eric Levitz points out (and I have talked about this too), the issue is that the nation doesn’t want immigration but does want cheap labor so you have people, in this case children, who fall through the cracks.

On paper, this does not look like a difficult policy problem to solve. A precocious grade-schooler wouldn’t need much time to ascertain the basic answer: If the U.S. expands immigration opportunities for international workers, our labor shortage and Central Americans’ economic woes should ease simultaneously. After all, there is no “skills” mismatch between economically desperate Central Americans and open U.S. positions. The U.S.’s labor shortage is concentrated in fields that do not require an extensive education. The U.S. needs more kitchen staff, construction workers, and delivery drivers. Central America is home to a large number of people with the interest in and capacity to perform those roles. Opportunities for “win-win” policy-making are rarely so clear-cut.

Yet U.S. policy-makers refuse to take the win. Instead, their answer to the twin problems of a U.S. labor shortage and Central American poverty crisis is, effectively, as follows: To close the gap between job openings and available workers, the Federal Reserve will simply raise interest rates until a critical mass of Americans become too poor to afford discretionary purchases, demand for labor drops, and, in all probability, the U.S. enters a recession. Meanwhile, to mitigate the poverty of those to our south, the U.S. has been allowing Central American children to enter our country, work illegally at brutal jobs, then send remittances home to their adult family members. Specifically, we have decided to let Central American kids do this if — and only if — they embark on a roughly 2,000-mile journey to the U.S. border without a parent or guardian.

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2023/02/the-american-child-labor-regime
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson