Author Topic: The US Air Force is finally getting rid of its A-10s, and its focus may be straying from the Warthog  (Read 123 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The US Air Force is finally getting rid of its A-10s, and its focus may be straying from the Warthog's unique mission
Story by insider@insider.com (Constantine Atlamazoglou) • 1h ago

After years of debate, Congress has approved a US Air Force plan to begin retiring A-10 Thunderbolts.

The A-10 is the only US military aircraft purpose-built to provide close air support to ground forces.

But training documents raise questions about the Air Force's focus on that mission going forward.

After repeatedly blocking the US Air Force's attempts to retire the A-10 Thunderbolt II, Congress late last year approved a plan to decommission 21 of the venerable ground-attack aircraft, which is the only US military aircraft purpose-built for close air support.

Those retirements would shrink the Air Force's A-10 fleet to 260 aircraft, and Air Force leaders plan to continue decommissioning A-10s in the years ahead.

Air Force officials have said they want to replace the A-10, affectionately known as the Warthog, with the F-35 as the service's primary close-air-support aircraft.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-us-air-force-is-finally-getting-rid-of-its-a-10s-and-its-focus-may-be-straying-from-the-warthog-s-unique-mission/ar-AA182cmB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c289961d92d847f9b050af462299dbae&ei=12
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Idiot

The US Air Force is finally getting rid of its A-10s, and its focus may be straying from the Warthog's unique mission
Story by insider@insider.com (Constantine Atlamazoglou) • 1h ago

After years of debate, Congress has approved a US Air Force plan to begin retiring A-10 Thunderbolts.

The A-10 is the only US military aircraft purpose-built to provide close air support to ground forces.

But training documents raise questions about the Air Force's focus on that mission going forward.

After repeatedly blocking the US Air Force's attempts to retire the A-10 Thunderbolt II, Congress late last year approved a plan to decommission 21 of the venerable ground-attack aircraft, which is the only US military aircraft purpose-built for close air support.

Those retirements would shrink the Air Force's A-10 fleet to 260 aircraft, and Air Force leaders plan to continue decommissioning A-10s in the years ahead.

Air Force officials have said they want to replace the A-10, affectionately known as the Warthog, with the F-35 as the service's primary close-air-support aircraft.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/the-us-air-force-is-finally-getting-rid-of-its-a-10s-and-its-focus-may-be-straying-from-the-warthog-s-unique-mission/ar-AA182cmB?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=c289961d92d847f9b050af462299dbae&ei=12
This would be a huge mistake.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
This would be a huge mistake.

That is something the military is well known for. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson