Author Topic: ‘Climate change’ blamed for 8000 gun deaths in New Study in Journal of the American Medical Associat  (Read 313 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
‘Climate change’ blamed for 8000 gun deaths in New Study in Journal of the American Medical Association – Claims ‘association between temperature & shootings’

MSN.com: Becca Inglis: Gun violence is already a pressing public health concern in the U.S., and a new study has found a troubling link between it and the overheating of our planet. As temperatures across the country soar and unseasonably warm days continue, the number of gun deaths across the country has gone up. Nearly 8,000 gun shootings can be attributed to extreme temperatures, according to research published by JAMA Network. ... Warmer temperatures increase the body’s stress hormones in the nervous system, which may heighten violent impulses. With daily temperatures expected to continue rising in the coming years, the number of injuries and fatalities from shootings could worsen, too. ... The study suggests that measures to slow down the overheating of our planet could reduce shootings, too. 

Study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association - Analysis of Daily Ambient Temperature and Firearm Violence in 100 US Cities - December 16, 2022 - Excerpt: "There were 116 511 shootings recorded across the 100 cities over the 6-year study period from 2015 to 2020, with a range of 16 to 202 shootings across all cities on any given day. The number of shootings tended to be higher in the summer, and 2020 experienced a spike in shootings compared with previous years ...The estimated association between temperature and shootings increased almost monotonically across the temperature range, with a local peak at the 84th percentile of the temperature range with a relative risk of 1.17 (95% CI, 1.12-1.21) compared with the median. ... Because climate change may shift weather patterns, changes may lead to increase both an increase in overall temperature and frequency of extreme temperatures. ... These efforts must not ignore the structural context in which communities of color, particularly Black and Indigenous communities, experience disproportionate exposure to urban heat and other effects of climate change. ... An increase in warmer temperatures and more frequent extreme heat events due to climate change may create environments with higher risk of firearm violence in the future."

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/02/27/climate-change-blamed-for-gun-violence-new-study-in-journal-of-the-american-medical-association-claims-association-between-temperature-shootings-claims-nearly-8000-gun-shootings-can-be-attri/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Offline andy58-in-nh

"These efforts must not ignore the structural context in which communities of color, particularly Black and Indigenous communities, experience disproportionate exposure to urban heat and other effects of climate change..."

Ideological nonsense dressed up in the language of academic scientific inquiry is perhaps the most pernicious form of propaganda ever devised.

It sounds plausible to those who are either ignorant, uneducated or otherwise predisposed to unfocused anger, which is its entire point.

For those who promote such claptrap are neither wise nor informed, but rather purposefully engaged in the pursuit of power and influence. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Dumbasses. There is climate change, but the climate that has changed is a cultural one.

Until white liberals and other folks get over the idea that someone can do no wrong because of superficial attributes, the death toll will continue to mount.

I have met three kinds of folks in my lifetime, good folks, intolerable jerks, and folks I don't know well enough to categorize.

They come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 01:12:54 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis