Author Topic: Cartels’ Influence Over Border Is ‘Really Frightening,’ Texas Land Commissioner Says  (Read 117 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Cartels’ Influence Over Border Is ‘Really Frightening,’ Texas Land Commissioner Says
Virginia Allen / @Virginia_Allen5 / February 28, 2023

Crime is increasing at the southern border, Texas Land Commissioner Dawn Buckingham says. Pictured: Illegal aliens run into the street in a bid to evade law enforcement after crossing into the U.S. through a hole in a fence in El Paso, Texas, on Dec. 22. (Photo: Allison Dinner/AFP/Getty Images)

Drug running and human smuggling by Mexican cartels have become tragically commonplace for many Texas communities. Texas Land Commissioner Dawn Buckingham says Texans are deeply frustrated with the situation at their southern border, a situation she describes as “frightening.”

There is a “tremendous loss of life with the increase in crime” at the southern border, Buckingham says, adding, “We’re going to do everything we possibly can, but unfortunately it is sort of trying to trap water in a sieve. When the federal government [is] … tying the hands of our Border Patrol agents … it’s an uphill battle, but we’re going to continue to fight every day.”

Buckingham, who took office Jan. 10 after being elected in November, joins “The Daily Signal Podcast” to discuss how locals in Texas view the illegal-immigration crisis and what the Texas General Land Office is doing to secure the southern border.

Listen to the podcast below or read the lightly edited transcript:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/02/28/cartel-influence-over-border-is-really-frightening-texas-land-commissioner-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson