Author Topic: The Army doesn’t know why junior officers are leaving  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Army doesn’t know why junior officers are leaving
« on: February 27, 2023, 05:56:27 pm »
The Army doesn’t know why junior officers are leaving
By Capt. Lindsay Gabow
 Friday, Feb 24

Does the Army know why junior officers leave? The discrepancy between two relevant studies suggests not.

Col. Everett Spain’s groundbreaking 2021 study, “The Battalion Commander Effect,” found that battalion commanders play a major role in determining whether lieutenants stay or leave the Army. Strangely, though, leadership did not even make the top-five reasons junior officers leave the Army in the Department of the Army Career Engagement Survey.

Implemented in 2020, the career engagement survey found that servicemembers, including junior officers, leave the Army primarily for family concerns. The survey identified the most important reasons for leaving the Army as: “Effects of deployments on my family/personal relationships,” “Impact of Army life on my significant other’s career plans/goals,” “Impact of Army life on family plans for children,” “The degree of stability/predictability of Army life,” and “Impact of military service on my family’s well-being.”

Struck by the disparity between “The Battalion Commander Effect” and the career engagement survey, I conducted an independent survey.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2023/02/24/the-army-doesnt-know-why-junior-officers-are-leaving/#:~:text=Does%20the%20Army%20know%20why%20junior%20officers%20leave%3F,determining%20whether%20lieutenants%20stay%20or%20leave%20the%20Army.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: The Army doesn’t know why junior officers are leaving
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2023, 10:24:10 pm »
Interesting that declining standards factored in some 33-40% of those who answered the survey, and poor leadership is of concern to more, up to 50%.

A traditionally 'macho' (yes, "toxically masculine") profession has become something less, because of leadership.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: The Army doesn’t know why junior officers are leaving
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2023, 11:13:49 pm »
 :pondering: just a thought but perhaps the reasons why they are leaving may be some of the same reasons for the suicide issue the leadership doesn't understand.