Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Did FBI Target Evangelicals, Anglicans Along With ‘Radical-Traditional Catholics’? Pence  (Read 301 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
EXCLUSIVE: Did FBI Target Evangelicals, Anglicans Along With ‘Radical-Traditional Catholics’? Pence Group Wants to Know
Tyler O'Neil / @Tyler2ONeil / February 24, 2023

Former Vice President Mike Pence's organization, Advancing American Freedom, seeks to obtain documents about an FBI memo targeting "radical-traditional Catholic ideology." Pictured: Pence visits Fox News Channel's studios in New York on Wednesday for an appearance on "The Story With Martha MacCallum." (Photo: Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images)

FIRST ON THE DAILY SIGNAL—Advancing American Freedom, a policy advocacy group launched by former Vice President Mike Pence, is demanding answers from the FBI about its memo urging agents to develop “sources with access,” including in “places of worship,” to probe an alleged relationship between “racially or ethnically motivated violent extremists” and “radical-traditional Catholic ideology.”

“This leaked document targeting traditional Catholics is disturbing to all people of faith,” J. Marc Wheat, general counsel at Advancing American Freedom, told The Daily Signal on Thursday. “The First Amendment guarantees free exercise of religion, without surveillance or fear of being labeled as extremists by the federal government.”

The FBI publicly announced in a statement that it was rescinding the memo about Catholics after FBI whistleblower Kyle Seraphin published it Feb. 8 on UncoverDC.com. The national FBI office claimed that the memo “does not meet the exacting standards of the FBI” and promised to remove the document from its systems and “conduct a review of the basis for the document,” but it refused to answer further questions about the move.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2023/02/24/exclusive-mike-pences-advancing-american-freedom-demands-answers-fbi-targeting-radical-traditional-catholics/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Evangelical Protestants Can’t Afford To Ignore the FBI’s Targeting of “Radical-Traditional” Catholics
Mar 22, 2023
Tyler O’Neil, Managing Editor, The Daily Signal

Key Takeaways

*The noxious prospect of the FBI investigating religious services at the SPLC’s beck and call should alarm orthodox Christians of every stripe.
*Critics across the political spectrum have voiced opposition and alarm at the SPLC's “hate group” smears.
*If the FBI uses the SPLC as a source in tracking “extremism” and “hate” then this tracking won’t stop with Roman Catholics.

Last month, the FBI published an internal memo targeting “radical-traditional Catholic ideology,” warning of a nexus between some Catholics and white supremacists and citing the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), an organization notorious for smearing mainstream conservative and Christian nonprofits as “hate groups” and placing them on a map with chapters of the Ku Klux Klan.

The FBI rightly rescinded this memo, but it has not responded to follow-up questions about how the memo came to be in the first place.

At first, this may seem like a problem merely for Roman Catholics. After all, the FBI memo encouraged agents to develop “sources with access” in “places of worship”—in this case, Catholic churches.

Yet evangelical Protestants like yours truly cannot afford to ignore this incident of what CatholicVote President Brian Burch called “the new Inquisition” of “anti-Catholic bigotry.” The noxious prospect of the FBI investigating religious services at the SPLC’s beck and call should alarm orthodox Christians of every stripe, along with conservatives in other religions like Judaism and Islam. ... https://www.heritage.org/religious-liberty/commentary/evangelical-protestants-cant-afford-ignore-the-fbis-targeting-radical
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I remember when the Mass was said in Latin (we also had Latin in High School).
The mass had a solemnity and sense of sanctity that has never been duplicated by the Mass said in English.
I'd go to Latin mass over the English one any time, and I still have my Grandfather's Missals.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

I remember when the Mass was said in Latin (we also had Latin in High School).
The mass had a solemnity and sense of sanctity that has never been duplicated by the Mass said in English.
I'd go to Latin mass over the English one any time, and I still have my Grandfather's Missals.

I also remember when Mass was said in Latin and Mass lost a sense of reverance when they switched over to English.

Such a shame so much was lost. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline The_Reader_David

I also remember when Mass was said in Latin and Mass lost a sense of reverance when they switched over to English.

Such a shame so much was lost.

That wasn't because it was changed from Latin to English, but because it was badly translated from Latin into vernacular English, added to the daft liturgical "reforms" like lay eucharistic ministers and not celebrating ad orientem that came in with Vatican II.

Among us Orthodox Christians, the Greek Archdiocese did the same thing (the standard comment on how bad their translation was is "it seems designed to encourage the retention of services in Greek), minus the daft "reforms" -- we don't do "reforms" in the Orthodox Church.  We Antiochians chose to use early modern (aka King James) English -- the standard translations for the Divine Liturgies of St. John Chrysostom and of St. Basil the Great, and of the Pre-Sanctified Liturgy now used were done by the now-retired bishop of my diocese, Bp. Basil of Wichita and Mid-America.  The Old Calendarist monks of Holy Transfiguration Monastery did the same thing, and we now use a number of their service books as the norm in the Antiochian Archdiocese.

And, if you'd like to see how to do a Western Mass in English correctly, you can see the Divine Liturgy of St. Gregory, an Orthodox correction of the Tridentine Mass, in English, here -- https://liturgies.net/Liturgies/Eastern/gregory.htm -- we Antiochians have a small number of Western Rite parishes which use it.  (There's one in Denver, if I recall correctly.)

The argument for using early modern English, rather than current vernacular is provided by the fact that it has been the language of prayer for English speaking peoples for centuries and experience of St. Nicholas of Japan, who correctly chose to use the high formal Japanese, which was the language of prayer of the Buddhists and Shintoists, rather than vernacular Japanese, for his translations of the Scriptures and service books, and the success he had in converting Japanese, and respect this choice won him even from Japanese who did not convert.  English liturgics needs to be in high formal = early modern English, complete with correctly used thee/thou/thine second person singular pronouns and matching verb forms.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.