Author Topic: Northern border immigrant death highlights crossing spike  (Read 140 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Northern border immigrant death highlights crossing spike
« on: February 25, 2023, 07:20:12 pm »
Northern border immigrant death highlights crossing spike
by: WILSON RING, Associated Press

Posted: Feb 24, 2023 / 03:57 PM CST

Updated: Feb 24, 2023 / 03:57 PM CST

The death of a Mexican man who had just entered the United States from Canada illegally is highlighting the spike in illegal crossings along the border between Quebec and parts of New England, officials say.

The number of illegal border crossers is tiny compared with those entering the country illegally from Mexico, but the death of the man who entered Vermont from Quebec late Sunday marked the area’s first death in recent memory of someone who crossed into the U.S. illegally. His entry took place in an area near Derby Line about 50 miles (80 kilometers) southeast of Montreal.

There have been fatalities of people seeking to cross on the Canadian side of the border. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, which is responsible for border security in Canada, report their agents have mounted a number of search and rescue operations this winter in the region of people intending to cross into the United States from Canada.

Border officials on both sides of the line have been warning about the dangers to the crossers and those who could be sent to rescue them.

https://www.borderreport.com/regions/canada/ap-northern-border-immigrant-death-highlights-crossing-spike/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson