Author Topic: Female scholars more likely than male counterparts to be elected to prestigious US scientific societ  (Read 143 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
CAREER NEWS
17 February 2023
Female scholars more likely than male counterparts to be elected to prestigious US scientific societies, finds study
Superior accomplishments and considerations of gender equity in academy membership might be contributing to the difference.
Natasha Gilbert

Female researchers in mathematics, psychology and economics are 3–15 times more likely to be elected as members of the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) or the American Academy of Arts and Sciences than are male counterparts who have similar publication and citation records, a study finds.

The paper finds that since 2019, female researchers have comprised around 40% of new members in both prestigious academies1. Historically, across disciplines in each academy, there have been substantially fewer female researchers than male ones. Before the 1980s, female members comprised less than 10% of total academy membership across all scientific fields.

Women in science

The NAS advises the nation on science and technology matters, whereas the American Academy honours research excellence. Election to the academies is considered one of the highest honours a researcher can receive.

Lead author David Card, an economist at the University of California, Berkeley, says that the boost does not seem to be due to an analogous increase in the number of potentially qualified female candidates for membership.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-00501-7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's not about what you've "studied up" on.
It's about what you're sittin' on...