Author Topic: Reviving The Use Of Navy Tactical Jets As Submarine-Hunters  (Read 91 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Reviving The Use Of Navy Tactical Jets As Submarine-Hunters
« on: February 24, 2023, 03:03:14 pm »
A veteran Cold War submarine-hunter reflects on the unlikely quest to have U.S. Navy fighters once again fight undersea threats.

BY
KEVIN NOONAN
|
PUBLISHED FEB 23, 2023 4:14 PM

KEVIN NOONAN

Whether we’ve failed to control them or whether they’re simply beyond our control, circumstances have a curious way of reminding us of the options we once had to help us solve the problems we face. Today, the U.S. Navy’s questionable anti-submarine warfare (ASW) readiness, the circumstances for which it has failed to control, has a group of U.S. Marine Corps and Navy officers calling for a return to an option that was used back in the early 1970s — tactical jets as submarine-hunters.

When I was researching my previous article for The War Zone on the Navy’s experimental use of tactical aircraft (TACAIR) to support the anti-submarine effort by dropping sonobuoys and relaying the acoustic data, I hadn’t even considered there might someday be a call to enlist F-35s and F/A-18s to do that and more. But that is just what Captain Walker Mills, U.S. Marine Corps, and Lieutenant Commanders Collin Fox, Dylan Phillips-Levine, and Trevor Phillips-Levine, U.S. Navy, suggested in their article, “Use Emerging Technology for ASW,” in the October 2021 issue of the U.S. Naval Institute’s Proceedings.

As I explained in the previous story, by the mid-1960s, the aging, cumbersome, and radial-engined S-2 Tracker couldn’t keep up with the nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSN) and the various anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) carrying submarines (SSG/SSGN) of the Soviet Navy. However, the Tracker’s replacement wouldn’t begin joining the multirole aircraft carrier fleet until 1974. The twin-turbofan S-3 Viking promised faster speed, longer range and loiter time, an advanced acoustic processor, and a greater load of sonobuoys for a far more effective search, localization, and tracking of any submarine threat.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/reviving-the-use-of-navy-tactical-jets-as-submarine-hunters
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Reviving The Use Of Navy Tactical Jets As Submarine-Hunters
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 03:07:21 pm »
We were spotted off San Diego in some war games because some dip-sh*t decided he needed a cigarette and lit up in an exposed area.  A jet jockey at 25,000 feet spotted it and "bombed" us.  There is little doubt you see a ship when you see a light on the ocean in the middle of the night.  So they can be helpful.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson