Author Topic: China calls for peace talks, cease-fire between Russia and Ukraine  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: China calls for peace talks, cease-fire between Russia and Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2023, 12:26:28 am »
Russia believes it is entitled to respect from the rest of Europe, leadership of all Slavs wherever they may be, and obesiance from any "lesser" nation (i.e., anyone except China) with whom they share a border.  They just believe that is their due, and are offended if anyone refuses to accede to that.  NATO undermines all of that, which is why they don't want it to expand.  Not because they actually believe NATO would ever invade.

F*ck 'em I say.  You are only entitled to whatever respect others choose to give you, and other countries should be free to thumb their noses at you.  It apparently is going to take more Russian dead in Ukraine for them to learn that lesson.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2023, 10:05:57 pm »
Russia believes it is entitled to respect from the rest of Europe, leadership of all Slavs wherever they may be, and obesiance from any "lesser" nation (i.e., anyone except China) with whom they share a border.  They just believe that is their due, and are offended if anyone refuses to accede to that.  NATO undermines all of that, which is why they don't want it to expand.  Not because they actually believe NATO would ever invade.

F*ck 'em I say.  You are only entitled to whatever respect others choose to give you, and other countries should be free to thumb their noses at you.  It apparently is going to take more Russian dead in Ukraine for them to learn that lesson.

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2023, 11:41:55 pm »
I stumbled upon this twitter thread. Any truth to the notion that China actually is struggling, that they're not the powerful force we like to think they are?

There are still conservatives, and some NYT progressives who fear/dream that China's authoritarianism is going to outcompete the west economically and bring in a century of Centralized control. This isn't going to happen. China is all but collapsing.

https://twitter.com/FromKulak/status/1629940660072505346
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LMAO

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2023, 12:38:06 am »
I stumbled upon this twitter thread. Any truth to the notion that China actually is struggling, that they're not the powerful force we like to think they are?

There are still conservatives, and some NYT progressives who fear/dream that China's authoritarianism is going to outcompete the west economically and bring in a century of Centralized control. This isn't going to happen. China is all but collapsing.

https://twitter.com/FromKulak/status/1629940660072505346

I have read articles that also claim that China is on the verge of a collapse. Is it true? Who knows. But I remember when we were told in the ‘80’s that the Japanese were gonna take over the world.
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Kamaji

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2023, 02:02:51 am »

I have read articles that also claim that China is on the verge of a collapse. Is it true? Who knows. But I remember when we were told in the ‘80’s that the Japanese were gonna take over the world.

I remember those days.

Online DB

« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 02:59:35 am »

On a per capital GDP basis China is dirt poor. The bulk of their "technology" is stolen. Slaves don't make good innovators. Centralized authoritarian government fails economically every time they are tried no matter who tries it.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 10:50:34 pm »
On a per capital GDP basis China is dirt poor.
The bulk of their "technology" is stolen. Slaves don't make good innovators.
Centralized authoritarian government fails economically every time they are tried no matter who tries it.

China's wealth per person IS very low, but they have A LOT of people!
Four times as many as the USA!

China ALREADY IS the world's leading manufacturer!
They produce at least 30 percent more manufactured goods than the USA!
Including twice as many cars as the USA!

China's manufacturing is growing fast.
China has been the world's leading buyer of machine tools for 15 years.
China has been the world's leading MAKER of machine tools for 10 years!

Chinese universities are producing more engineering graduates per year
than US universities are producing IN ALL FIELDS OF STUDY!

So far, most of China's technology has been copied or stolen.
And China Joe and the rest of the "Democratic" Party
are eagerly selling MORE technology to them!

You can be sure that plenty of that military equipment
that China Joe gave the Taliban in Afghanistan
is now in China, being copied!

Germany in 1940 was VERY different from Germany in 1930.
China in 2020 is VERY different from China in 1990.

We need to deal with the reality that exists NOW, and in the coming years,
not the reality that existed 30 years ago!
Complacency is suicide !!!!!!!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Online DB

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 11:14:45 pm »

China's wealth per person IS very low, but they have A LOT of people!
Four times as many as the USA!

China ALREADY IS the world's leading manufacturer!
They produce at least 30 percent more manufactured goods than the USA!
Including twice as many cars as the USA!

China's manufacturing is growing fast.
China has been the world's leading buyer of machine tools for 15 years.
China has been the world's leading MAKER of machine tools for 10 years!

Chinese universities are producing more engineering graduates per year
than US universities are producing IN ALL FIELDS OF STUDY!

So far, most of China's technology has been copied or stolen.
And China Joe and the rest of the "Democratic" Party
are eagerly selling MORE technology to them!

You can be sure that plenty of that military equipment
that China Joe gave the Taliban in Afghanistan
is now in China, being copied!

Germany in 1940 was VERY different from Germany in 1930.
China in 2020 is VERY different from China in 1990.

We need to deal with the reality that exists NOW, and in the coming years,
not the reality that existed 30 years ago!
Complacency is suicide !!!!!!!

That reality remains. China was a complete trainwreck 30 years ago and now they've improved to dirt poor. They had nowhere to go but up. China still doesn't have the capacity to take Taiwan though it is getting closer - it does not even remotely have the ability to take on the world in a world war. China has very likely peaked. Many companies are in the process of moving production out of China.

Offline berdie

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2023, 11:34:45 pm »
That reality remains. China was a complete trainwreck 30 years ago and now they've improved to dirt poor. They had nowhere to go but up. China still doesn't have the capacity to take Taiwan though it is getting closer - it does not even remotely have the ability to take on the world in a world war. China has very likely peaked. Many companies are in the process of moving production out of China.
[/b]

I hope you are right.

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2023, 04:30:26 am »

It was a bad idea for companies to move anything into China to begin with.
It would have made more sense to locate in Latin America.
They would still get cheap labor, plus it would reduce illegal immigration.

China now has lots of 100 percent Chinese owned companies.
Plenty enough to continue building up without any foreign investment.

China is immersed in Asian culture - for the last 5000 years.
China is very patient.  They are likely to not actually invade anyone
until they are so overwhelmingly powerful
that no other country would even think of trying to resist.
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao