Author Topic: The Navy’s New Ship Can Run Without Humans for 30 Straight Days  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy’s New Ship Can Run Without Humans for 30 Straight Days
Story by Sascha Brodsky • 3h ago

The U.S. Navy’s new ship can run by itself for up to one month.

The USNS Apalachicola can carry sailors or be used as an uncrewed missile platform, among other utilities.

Autonomous ships won’t completely replace crewed vessels just yet.
The U.S. Navy has received a prototype ship that can operate autonomously at sea for up to 30 days. The 337-foot USNS Apalachicola will be the Navy’s largest-ever self-running craft. It’s part of a growing wave of drone planes and ships that could transform combat in the coming decades.

With its shallow-hulled design, the Apalachicola is speedy and can maneuver where other ships can’t. The boat has a maximum speed of 40 knots, a maximum payload capacity of 544 metric tons, and a draft of 12.5 feet. The vessel can carry humans or be used as an uncrewed missile platform, anti-submarine weapons platform, radar, sensor craft, or drone mothership.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-navy-s-new-ship-can-run-without-humans-for-30-straight-days/ar-AA17QNJA?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=df29c30c16294961aa06e435d5d042f7
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: The Navy’s New Ship Can Run Without Humans for 30 Straight Days
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 07:07:54 pm »
 ////00000////

What happens on day 31?  Does it become sentient and turn against its creators?
"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright