Author Topic: Biden Called Trump Racist Over Immigration. Now He's Stealing His Policy (and Ruining It) | Opinion  (Read 121 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Biden Called Trump Racist Over Immigration. Now He's Stealing His Policy (and Ruining It) | Opinion
PAMELA DENISE LONG , TRAINER AND CONSULTANT FOR IMPLEMENTING TRAUMA-INFORMED CARE AND ANTI-RACISM

ON 2/23/23 AT 8:43 AM EST

This week, the Biden-Harris administration announced a temporary adjustment to their open-borders policies. Biden's Department of Homeland Security and Department of Justice proposed a joint plan to address how illegal aliens circumvent the legal pathways of migrating to the U.S. The plan would bar migrants from seeking asylum if they cross the southern border illegally without first asking for asylum in whatever country they traveled through to reach the U.S.

Sound familiar? It should. The proposal is a spin on the Trump-era "Remain in Mexico" policy, which President Biden scrapped his first year in office after campaigning on how racist Trump's immigration policy was. So it's a little bit ironic to see President Biden now scrambling to reimpose the policy.

Hypocrisy aside, Remain in Mexico was good policy. Asylum is for people who desperately flee substantial fear of persecution or an existential threat to their life (or both), and it's just not asylum if you choose to fly here after a layover in Europe, or if you hike here through Mexico or walk here from Canada. Bypassing any other developed country en route to America means you are coming to the U.S. from a place where you cannot possibly have a history of persecution that would justify an asylum claim; you're not fleeing but choosing a desirable destination.

https://www.newsweek.com/biden-called-trump-racist-over-immigration-now-hes-stealing-his-policy-ruining-it-opinion-1783197
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson