Author Topic: Rise in asylum-seekers entering Canada from U.S. becomes flashpoint again  (Read 113 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Rise in asylum-seekers entering Canada from U.S. becomes flashpoint again
By:Reuters
Updated: Feb 22, 2023, 15:05 EST

By Anna Mehler Paperny TORONTO (Reuters) – Thousands of asylum-seekers crossing irregularly into Canada via a dirt path between New York State and the province of Quebec are becoming a political flashpoint once again in Canada as the Quebec government says it can no longer accommodate

People walk with their luggage on Roxham Road before crossing the US-Canada in Champlain
By Anna Mehler Paperny

TORONTO (Reuters) – Thousands of asylum-seekers crossing irregularly into Canada via a dirt path between New York State and the province of Quebec are becoming a political flashpoint once again in Canada as the Quebec government says it can no longer accommodate the rising numbers.

The movement of asylum-seekers into Canada from the United States has picked up since Canada lifted COVID-19 pandemic restrictions in late 2021, a trend mirroring global displacement. More than 39,000 refugees entered Canada last year via unofficial crossings, the vast majority via Roxham Road linking Quebec and New York State. The number crossing into Quebec more than doubled last year compared to 2017, when Roxham Road made international headlines.

https://www.fxempire.com/news/article/rise-in-asylum-seekers-entering-canada-from-u-s-becomes-flashpoint-again-1291834
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson