Author Topic: To Increase 'Equity,' This California High School Is Eliminating Honors Courses  (Read 530 times)

Offline Kamaji

To Increase 'Equity,' This California High School Is Eliminating Honors Courses

"I was born in Cuba, and it doesn't sound good when people are trying to achieve equal outcomes for everyone," said one parent.

EMMA CAMP

One California high school has eliminated honors classes for ninth- and 10th-grade students. While school officials claim that the change was necessary to increase "equity," the move has angered students and parents alike.

"We really feel equity means offering opportunities to students of diverse backgrounds, not taking away opportunities for advanced education and study," one parent who opposed the change told The Wall Street Journal.

Starting this school year, Culver City High School, a public school in a middle-class suburb of Los Angles, eliminated its honors English classes for ninth- and 10th-graders. Instead, students are only able to enroll in one course called "College Prep" English. The decision, according to school administrators, came after teachers noticed that only a small number of black and Hispanic students were enrolling in Advanced Placement (A.P.) courses.

"It was very jarring when teachers looked at their AP enrollment and realized Black and brown kids were not there. They felt obligated to do something," said Quoc Tran, the district's superintendent. According to an article by The Wall Street Journal's Sara Randazzo, data presented at a school board meeting last year showed that Latino students made up 13 percent of 12th-grade A.P. English students, despite comprising 37 percent of the student body, while black students made up 14 percent of A.P. English students while comprising 15 percent of the student body.

Source:  https://reason.com/2023/02/21/to-increase-equity-this-california-high-school-is-eliminating-honors-courses/

Offline Kamaji

Offline DB

And there's the brilliance of modern academia in a nutshell... With all their brilliance they can only lower everyone to the lowest common denominator while ignoring the obvious...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:11:57 pm by DB »

Online LMAO

The obsession these people have with diversity and equity is going to guarantee that we slip further and further and further behind the rest of the world

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

The obsession these people have with diversity and equity is going to guarantee that we slip further and further and further behind the rest of the world

:thumbsup:

Offline andy58-in-nh

Ayn Rand... please pick up the white courtesy phone....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline berdie

This is one of the craziest things I've heard/read in a long time. And the good Lord knows there is plenty of crazy.

Maybe the so called teachers aren't smart enough to teach the courses. :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And there's the brilliance of modern academia in a nutshell... With all their brilliance they can only lower everyone to the lowest common denominator while ignoring the obvious...
I have long maintained that public and often private schools are geared toward the slower students. Those who are truly gifted are SOL, unless they can get into college courses and get HS credit, too, and that after years of being held back at every level.

Even the communists have the sense to pluck the best and brightest and send them to accelerated schools.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

I have long maintained that public and often private schools are geared toward the slower students. Those who are truly gifted are SOL, unless they can get into college courses and get HS credit, too, and that after years of being held back at every level.

Even the communists have the sense to pluck the best and brightest and send them to accelerated schools.

It depends on the public school district in question.  My daughter's district, for example, provided substantial advanced courses for students who were above the average; other districts not so much.

The issue here is that the district in question is intentionally getting rid of advanced courses in the misguided belief that this will improve the status of the "black and brown" students (to quote from the article).  In other words, a racially-based version of the tall poppy syndrome.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Ayn Rand... please pick up the white courtesy phone....

Or cue Mike Judge for Idiocracy II. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Average IQ for East Asians - 106
Average IQ for European whites - 100
Average IQ for Hispanics - 89*
Average IQ for blacks 85

Source:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S016028960200137X

* https://www.researchgate.net/publication/316324951_THE_LATINO-AMERICAN_BELL_CURVE_IQ_EDUCATIONS_AND_INEQUALITY

The reality is, that "equity" is... impossible.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It depends on the public school district in question.  My daughter's district, for example, provided substantial advanced courses for students who were above the average; other districts not so much.

The issue here is that the district in question is intentionally getting rid of advanced courses in the misguided belief that this will improve the status of the "black and brown" students (to quote from the article).  In other words, a racially-based version of the tall poppy syndrome.
My last two years of High School were in a Private School. It got me out of the race riots, into a program where I could take AP courses.
Unfortunately, the damage done to my math skills by having a teacher in the public schools who could not work the problems on the board (and who would not be replaced due to strictly political considerations) was something I never really recovered from. I went from an advanced math student to average, and never regained my enthusiasm for the subject.

I did arrive at College with a year's worth of English credit (AP exam), and that was worth something.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis