Author Topic: Net Zero by 2050? We need about 10,000 years of current Lithium production to get there first  (Read 234 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Net Zero by 2050? We need about 10,000 years of current Lithium production to get there first
Lithium in paraffinBy Jo Nova

So much for Net Zero by 2050
Simon P. Michaux calls it “Minerals Blindness” — the inability to see that there are just not enough metals to get to Net Zero.

He is an Australian working for the Geological Survey of Finland. He’s an Associate Professor of Mineral Processing and Geometallurgy, and has added up the tonnage required to convert the first generation of the fleet needed (theoretically) to get to Net Zero.  So that’s just 25 years worth of wind turbines, solar panels and batteries.

And then we need to do it all again?

Michaux estimates that we need 944 million tons of lithium alone to go Net Zero (the first time). But at the moment every year we dig up about 100,000 tons a year, or 0.01% of what we need to reach the Net Zero target. Current total known reserves of lithium throughout the world in 2022 are just 26 million tons.  Total known (best guess) resources are 98 million tons).* Obviously as the price of lithium rises, we will find a lot more. We haven’t been looking for lithium very long so we may even find ten times as much. But at our current rate of production it will take 10,000 years to dig up enough lithium — a figure that ought to light a barge of fireworks over the reality of the 2050 targets. Politicians and Green magic wish fairies may not realize what kind of galactic upscaling is required.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/02/net-zero-by-2050-we-need-about-10000-years-of-current-lithium-production-to-get-there-first/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=net-zero-by-2050-we-need-about-10000-years-of-current-lithium-production-to-get-there-first
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline andy58-in-nh

The WEF surely knows this, as they are not stupid.

The goal is not net zero carbon.

The goal is net zero human beings.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The worst misuse we could make (and ARE making) of the Earth's reserves of lithium will be to use it for... electric vehicle batteries...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
As long as we stockpile the Lithium 6...  :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis