Author Topic: Is the old America gone forever?  (Read 978 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Is the old America gone forever?
« on: February 18, 2023, 07:12:17 pm »
February 18, 2023
Is the old America gone forever?
By Robert Arvay

Mike Nowak's recent piece in American Thinker on the old Perry Mason TV show, although somewhat tongue in cheek, awakened in me some nostalgic memories.  As a teenager, I watched many of the episodes when they first aired, and a few years ago, I watched all the YouTube videos I could find as if they were reruns.

Having been an eyewitness to the 1950s and '60s, watching the videos was sentimentally a bit like visiting my childhood home town.  I recognized, if not places, certain landmarks of the mind, and despite my memories of some of the bad things, such as institutional racism in my home state, I felt a longing to return, at least for a brief sojourn, to what was truly good in those times, a goodness that my children and grandchildren missed out on and may never know. 

One of the first things one notices in the early series, 1957 to '59 or so, is the remnant of chivalry that today's feminists decry as sexist.  Men were gentlemen.  Oh, come now, there were the boors and abusers, but gentlemanliness was expected.  Men held doors for ladies, helped them on with their coats, stood when they entered the room, and so forth.  Those customs are so archaic as to be almost laughable among the youngsters of today. 

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2023/02/is_the_old_america_gone_forever.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Is the old America gone forever?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 11:23:43 pm »
"Is the old America gone forever?"

If you're thinkin' we can "get it back" for the entire 50 states, then YES -- THAT "America" is gone. Forever. It's become a matter of demographics as well as politics and culture, that cannot be reversed or reconciled.

If there's to be a future for traditional-minded Americans of Christian-Euro heritage, that future lies in a new "nation", carved out of "the heart" of the existing one, independent of the "DC government" that now rules us.

I'd call it "The Heartland Republic", for lack of a better name.
It's been done before.
Twice: once in 1776, and again in 1861.
It can be done again.

If we're not willing to endure that, then we'd best become acclimated to rule by The Party. For them, it will be "our way, or the highway". Or... the camps.

In that case... we must choose "the highway"... a new pathway forward.

Is it time for that Heartland Continental Congress yet...?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2023, 11:39:33 pm by Fishrrman »

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 01:08:13 am »
Yes, it is.

Online LMAO

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 02:05:12 am »
Forever is a long time

But I'm glad we didn't have today's America  1941-1945
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 03:00:06 am »
I am more optimistic than all y'all...

Imagine that!  :silly:

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 09:31:58 am »
mystery-ak....
          Men held doors for ladies, helped them on with their coats, stood when they entered the room, and so forth.  Those customs are so archaic as to be almost laughable among the youngsters of today.
laughable?  They would not comprehend it, for it is completely foreign to them, just like any form of proper manners are foreign to young people.  They are being taught nothing, but they will make great automatons.

And the UGLY TRUTH is that the republic is gone.  I believe permanently.  As long as we do not have free and  fair elections, we have no republic.  But no one in authority wants to admit this truth, this UGLY TRUTH!!!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 11:51:41 am »
laughable?  They would not comprehend it, for it is completely foreign to them, just like any form of proper manners are foreign to young people.  They are being taught nothing, but they will make great automatons.

I was raised up in them manners, as were my kids. And that's how my kids are raising up their kids. Now, that ain't the manners of the genteel South, nor the staid conduct of the Bible Belt - The West has always been a bit more wild. But it's there. It is the same. As is the Cowboy Way.

You have to get out of town to find it nowadays... People don't believe me, but that's where I like it best, where you don't lock your doors and you leave the keys in the ignition. The key has been in the ignition of my truck since I bought it.

It s still there. Out past where the sidewalks end.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 03:14:31 pm »
Yes.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2023, 03:22:33 pm »
I was raised up in them manners, as were my kids. And that's how my kids are raising up their kids. Now, that ain't the manners of the genteel South, nor the staid conduct of the Bible Belt - The West has always been a bit more wild. But it's there. It is the same. As is the Cowboy Way.

You have to get out of town to find it nowadays... People don't believe me, but that's where I like it best, where you don't lock your doors and you leave the keys in the ignition. The key has been in the ignition of my truck since I bought it.

I grew up there, work there, spend most of my time there.

Grandparents have power to undermine all this current nonsense, given opportunity to work with your grandkids a bit. Things like work ethic, (real) sense of fairness and how to treat others, fascination with the natural world, hunting & shooting, fishing, gathering, and a connection with The Almighty they won't get from any device that glows in the dark. WE can plant those values, and from that the Republic can return. Just telling them the way it was goes a long way toward them wanting that for themselves.
Anyone doesn't think a normally rebellious child doesn't want freedom from the cloying constraints of wokeism and leftist totalitarianism?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2023, 03:28:38 pm »

And the UGLY TRUTH is that the republic is gone.  I believe permanently.  As long as we do not have free and  fair elections, we have no republic.  But no one in authority wants to admit this truth, this UGLY TRUTH!!!

:yowsa: When the rule of law dies, so does the republic! And the rule of law in the USA is quite dead.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 03:39:16 pm »
:yowsa: When the rule of law dies, so does the republic! And the rule of law in the USA is quite dead.
Not sure it is dead, but it's in critical condition. When the very agencies charged with upholding the law are so egregiously breaking it, and not suffering consequences, it will only be so long before there is no law.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 03:40:48 pm »
I grew up there, work there, spend most of my time there.

Grandparents have power to undermine all this current nonsense, given opportunity to work with your grandkids a bit. Things like work ethic, (real) sense of fairness and how to treat others, fascination with the natural world, hunting & shooting, fishing, gathering, and a connection with The Almighty they won't get from any device that glows in the dark. WE can plant those values, and from that the Republic can return. Just telling them the way it was goes a long way toward them wanting that for themselves.
Anyone doesn't think a normally rebellious child doesn't want freedom from the cloying constraints of wokeism and leftist totalitarianism?

That's right, and I think why, by and large, rural life has remained immune. The heartland is where the heart is.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 04:02:25 pm »

Sidewalk? What the heck is THAT?  wink777
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 04:05:38 pm »

:silly: :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 04:19:54 pm »

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 06:02:58 pm »

I've never lived anywhere in the USA where there were sidewalks and its very unlikely that I ever will.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 06:08:32 pm »
Not sure it is dead, but it's in critical condition. When the very agencies charged with upholding the law are so egregiously breaking it, and not suffering consequences, it will only be so long before there is no law.

When SCOTUS refuses to do what it is mandated to do the rule of law is DEAD.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 07:56:52 pm »
When SCOTUS refuses to do what it is mandated to do the rule of law is DEAD.

@Bigun

As long as the Dims are allowed to vote several times each election,we will have "President Cartman" in one disguise or another.

"Respect MY author-tay!"
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 12:03:55 am »
This is an absurdly cliched essay.