Author Topic: A ‘base camp’ has popped up on vacant land in the Florida Keys. What’s happening there?  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A ‘base camp’ has popped up on vacant land in the Florida Keys. What’s happening there?

David Goodhue
Sat, February 18, 2023 at 5:00 AM EST·4 min read
Alongside U.S. 1 in the Upper Florida Keys, the Old Highway still lives. It used to be the main road that spanned the island chain before the Overseas Highway was finished in 1938.

The Old Highway, as locals call it, runs behind restaurants, gas stations, gift shops. To the east are mansions and estates, mostly shrouded by vegetation and gates.

But there is something new that just sprung up amid the fancy homes and waterfront views: a tent city.

What is the tent city about?
Around mile marker 88.5 in the Village of Islamorada, a dead-end road leads east off the Old Highway called Aregood Lane. Last weekend, a camp was set up on eight vacant, privately owned lots.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/camp-popped-vacant-land-florida-100000311.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson