Author Topic: Today starts the Great Backyard Bird Count 🐦  (Read 325 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Today starts the Great Backyard Bird Count 🐦
« on: February 17, 2023, 06:12:20 pm »
Help scientists around the world understand and protect birds in this global event

Every February, bird lovers around the world gather to observe and count birds in their area to help scientists understand bird migration, conservation efforts and more during an event known as the Great Backyard Bird Count. This year's event will take place Feb. 17-20 and it's easy to get involved. With minimal equipment and your smartphone or computer, you can help scientists around the world get a better understanding of the birds we share our world with.

How to participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count

The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) is a joint venture between the Audubon Society, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and Birds Canada to help study and preserve vital bird populations. Amateur and professional birdwatchers are invited to contribute to the study individually or in groups. Simply decide on a location to watch birds and observe the environment for at least 15 minutes at least once over the four days of the event.

As you watch, identify all the birds you see or hear and record them using an app or on a printed GBBC checklist. To get started, go to https://www.birdcount.org/participate/ to learn more.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/travel/take-part-in-the-global-great-backyard-bird-count-with-these-apps-and-items/ar-AA17zB9B
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Today starts the Great Backyard Bird Count 🐦
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 06:12:32 pm »
I’m in!
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 06:32:04 pm »
Being invaded by hundreds of black birds as I write this, no way to count them. I don't know what they are, smaller than crows and so black they reflect purple tones... They flock together skittishly moving somewhat as every car passes, the louder the car the more they move. Gotta be 3-4 hundred in this group that takes up over an acre of land when on the ground.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 06:52:55 pm »
On a daily basis, Tufted Titmouse, Black-capped Chickadee, White-breasted Nuthatch, Hairy Woodpecker, Red-Headed Woodpecker, Mourning Dove, Goldfinch, Cardinals, Juncos, crows. In a few months, there also will be house finches, American Robins, Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Chipping Sparrows, Orioles, Indigo Buntings ... and probably more. I love looking out the window.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 06:55:41 pm »
Being invaded by hundreds of black birds as I write this, no way to count them. I don't know what they are, smaller than crows and so black they reflect purple tones... They flock together skittishly moving somewhat as every car passes, the louder the car the more they move. Gotta be 3-4 hundred in this group that takes up over an acre of land when on the ground.

Probably starlings.

Trash birds. Hate 'em.
The Republic is lost.