Author Topic: New Study Confirms Coral Reefs Are Adapting To Warmer Waters  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Study Confirms Coral Reefs Are Adapting To Warmer Waters
« on: February 17, 2023, 12:01:55 pm »
WRITTEN BY DR. BENNY PEISER, GUEST POST ON FEB 16, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

New Study Confirms Coral Reefs Are Adapting To Warmer Water

In a new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, scientists have discovered that some corals in the eastern Pacific are adapting to a warmer world by hosting more heat-tolerant algae.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) projects that a 2 degrees C of warming would kill off 99 percent of global corals. [emphasis, links added]

However, the new study “shows that there are some unusual reefs that may be able to survive for several decades as a result of their ability to shuffle symbionts,” Andrew Baker, a marine biologist at the University of Miami and coauthor of the research, said in a statement.

“While we don’t think that most reefs will be able to survive in this way, it does suggest that vestiges of our current reefs may persist for longer than we previously thought, although potentially with many fewer species,” Baker said.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/new-study-confirms-coral-reefs-are-adapting-to-warmer-waters/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: New Study Confirms Coral Reefs Are Adapting To Warmer Waters
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 12:43:34 pm »
:facepalm2: