Author Topic: Greenpeace co-founder says group is betraying its principles by peddling junk science as whales die  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Greenpeace co-founder says group is betraying its principles by peddling junk science as whales die

COMMENTARY
By Patrick Moore - - Tuesday, February 14, 2023
OPINION:

Since 2016, when acoustic sonar surveys required for the construction of 1,500 wind turbines began on the U.S. Atlantic coast, 174 humpback whales have washed ashore dead. This represents a 400% increase in mortality from previous years. And then there are the highly endangered North Atlantic right whales, of which less than 400 exist today. They recovered somewhat after being hunted to near extinction in the 1930s, but now they are thought to be declining.

Federal government agencies such as the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration are authorizing the sonar surveys. Greenpeace, the organization I helped found in 1971, has sided with the wind turbines over the whales, stating there is no proof that sonar is involved in the whales’ deaths. Here is a quote from a Greenpeace spokesperson: “At this time, due to the lack of evidence suggesting harm from offshore wind development, Greenpeace’s position remains that the best way to protect whales is to create ocean sanctuaries, eliminate single-use plastics at the source, and stop our dependency on oil and gas.”

Perhaps it would be a good idea to put the “ocean sanctuaries” where the whales live.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/feb/14/greenpeace-betrays-founders-to-peddle-junk-science/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson