Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg blames Trump for Ohio train derailment in face of criticism  (Read 1001 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 February 15, 2023 2:41pm EST
Pete Buttigieg blames Trump for Ohio train derailment amid criticism: 'We’re constrained'
'We’re constrained by law on some areas of rail regulation,' Buttigieg tweeted

By Thomas Catenacci | Fox News

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg shifted part of the blame for the recent derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in Ohio on the Trump administration reversing a little-known safety rule.

Buttigieg noted Tuesday evening that his agency had taken a series of steps to improve rail safety through "historic investments," but said it was constrained by the Trump administration action. In 2018, the Department of Transportation (DOT) withdrew a rule proposed three years earlier requiring trains carrying certain dangerous chemicals to utilize electronically controlled pneumatic (ECP) brakes, saying the technology's benefits were inconclusive.

"In the wake of the East Palestine derailment and its impact on hundreds of residents, we’re seeing lots of newfound or renewed (and welcome) interest in our work on rail safety, so I wanted to share more about what we’ve been doing in this area," Buttigieg tweeted.

"We’re constrained by law on some areas of rail regulation (like the braking rule withdrawn by the Trump administration in 2018 because of a law passed by Congress in 2015), but we are using the powers we do have to keep people safe," the transportation secretary added. "And of course, I’m always ready to work with Congress on furthering (or in some cases, restoring) our capacity to address rail safety issues."

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-blames-trump-ohio-train-derailment-were-constrained
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Pete Buttigieg blames Trump for Ohio train derailment in face of criticism
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 08:28:30 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 08:39:43 pm »
Seriously, that's the best the pansy can come up with? What a jerk.
The Biden Administration also has failed to act on the braking issue, as I've heard it. But we all know how much the Biden Administration cares about anything that isn't equity- or climate change-based.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:51:49 pm »
If Buttjigger and Brandon were so damn concerned why didn't they do something about it for the two years that dems controlled everything? Just more blame the other guy from someone not even qualified to clean restrooms(which I'm sure he spent plenty of time in while visiting local parks).

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 12:38:43 am »
EP (electro-pnuematic) brakes on freight trains is -- for now -- a [brake] pipe dream.

Amtrak originally tried that on passenger trains comprised of Amfleet equipment back in the 70's, and had to discontinue it, because it was unreliable and couldn't be kept maintained.

And passenger trains are far better "maintained" than are freight trains and equipment.

Some passenger trains DO have EP braking -- such as the multiple-unit cars of Metro-North, or Amtrak's Acela equipment. But the Acelas are never "broken apart" like ordinary passenger cars, and there is a tangle of cables between one [semi-permanently coupled) car and the next.

It would be all-but impossible to get the entire fleet of freight cars outfitted with such equipment. There have been some "test trains" in freight that used EP brakes, but these are generally "unit" trains that don't get broken up at the end of the line. How many are still in day-to-day service (if any), couldn't say.

Even if the train involved had had EP brakes, that would have been of no use if an axle bearing suddenly sheared off (which is what happened). The train would have wrecked anyway.

One more instance of Buttplug having no idea as to what he's talking about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 01:26:23 am »
EP (electro-pnuematic) brakes on freight trains is -- for now -- a [brake] pipe dream.

Amtrak originally tried that on passenger trains comprised of Amfleet equipment back in the 70's, and had to discontinue it, because it was unreliable and couldn't be kept maintained.

And passenger trains are far better "maintained" than are freight trains and equipment.

Some passenger trains DO have EP braking -- such as the multiple-unit cars of Metro-North, or Amtrak's Acela equipment. But the Acelas are never "broken apart" like ordinary passenger cars, and there is a tangle of cables between one [semi-permanently coupled) car and the next.

It would be all-but impossible to get the entire fleet of freight cars outfitted with such equipment. There have been some "test trains" in freight that used EP brakes, but these are generally "unit" trains that don't get broken up at the end of the line. How many are still in day-to-day service (if any), couldn't say.

Even if the train involved had had EP brakes, that would have been of no use if an axle bearing suddenly sheared off (which is what happened). The train would have wrecked anyway.

One more instance of Buttplug having no idea as to what he's talking about.

:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 02:05:31 am »
Note to America:

This is what Faggotry gets you.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 11:56:12 am »
Wonder if still having the caboose on the rear would have averted disaster. Another set of eyes inspecting the train.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 01:16:28 pm »
The Republic is lost.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 01:33:23 pm »
Lol

Good luck with that one, Pete
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline LMAO

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 01:36:00 pm »
Note to America:

This is what Faggotry gets you.

This is what you get when box checking replaces ability
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 01:54:21 pm »

Exactly.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 02:14:51 pm »

And one particular box that right now grates on me with their force-feeding us their lifestyle and debuachery 24/7 in TV and Movies.

If an alien came down and watched a day of televison, he'd think that half of our population are like these sick puppies. I've had enough of them, and really only solution right now is watching "less woke" UK stuff.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 03:00:20 pm »
ironhorse wrote:
"Wonder if still having the caboose on the rear would have averted disaster. Another set of eyes inspecting the train."

Could we see FRA regs mandating this in time...?

At least for trains that will be carrying hazardous materials and chemicals.

Perhaps a move to segregate hazmat cars into special trains that receive "a higher degree of oversight enroute" than what "regular" trains are subjected to.

Perhaps a 40-80 car limit, depending on what's in the consist.

With mandatory "on the ground inspections" after a certain number of miles.

Or, in lieu of "on-ground" inspections, perhaps a manned car at the rear of the train for additional continuous observation and monitoring. Hey, didn't they have those once before...?

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 03:06:22 pm »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 03:49:09 pm »
Gov. DeWine says he hasn’t seen Pete Buttigieg ‘at all’ after toxic train derailment
February 15, 2023 | Harold Hutchison | Print Article

Republican Gov. Mike DeWine said he has not seen Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg “at all” in the aftermath of the derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in Ohio.

A train carrying toxic chemicals derailed near East Palestine, Ohio, Feb. 3, prompting evacuations and shelter-in-place orders as authorities moved to address the release of the chemicals. Officials warned of a possible “catastrophic blast” Feb. 6, carrying out a controlled burn of the chemicals, which resulted in a plume of toxic smoke filling the air, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

“I’ve not seen him at all,” DeWine said of Buttigieg, who has come under fire for waiting until Monday evening to discuss the situation via a thread on Twitter. “I did get a call from the president. You know, the president said I’ll send you whatever you need.” ... BizPacReview
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 05:37:53 pm »
The issue wasn't Trump.  It was some broader regulatory reform passed during the Obama Administration that made it impossible to implement the regulation under consideration.  The 2018 final decision to not implement the regulation was the inevitable consequence of the 2015 legislation.  That's why Buttgig said "we are constrained by legislation passed in 2015."  Which of course, the Biden Administration could have "fixed" simply by passing a law codifying that proposed regulation. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 05:38:44 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 05:38:26 pm »
The issue wasn't Trump.  It was some broader regulatory reform passed during the Obama Administration that made it impossible to implement the regulation under consideration.  The 2018 final decision to not implement the regulation was the inevitable consequence of the 2015 legislation.  That's why Buttgig said "we are constrained by legislation."  Which of course, the Biden Administration could have "fixed" simply by passing a law codifying that proposed regulation. 

Thanks!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 06:11:43 pm »
All they have to do is speak nonsense and countless people on the left (and in the media) sigh, “That’s a relief”.  Doesn’t matter if it stands up to critical thought.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 08:57:09 pm »
Is it possible that shit just happens? What were the condition of the rails in this town?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 09:08:29 pm »
Construction workers with White skin did this. There are too many White people in America, said the snow white breast feeding gay freak.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online berdie

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 09:10:39 pm »
Is it possible that shit just happens? What were the condition of the rails in this town?

I agree. But the response seems to be lacking.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2023, 09:51:19 pm »
Pete Buttigieg couldn't manage a drink spill at the corner bar!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2023, 10:49:44 pm »

:amen:

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2023, 12:18:28 am »
In my experience, before I retired, NS took pretty good care of their mainline. The problem here appears to be with the car itself.