Author Topic: Open Borders Advocates Use Semantic Straw Man to Deny Fentanyl Crisis and Migration Crisis Are Relat  (Read 124 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Open Borders Advocates Use Semantic Straw Man to Deny Fentanyl Crisis and Migration Crisis Are Related
February 06, 2023

Ira Mehlman
Media Director
No one has actually made the claim that the unprecedented number of migrants crossing our borders illegally are responsible for smuggling fentanyl into the United States. But that hasn’t deterred advocates for open borders from launching a full-scale effort to debunk the claim for the overt purpose of portraying the millions of unlawful border crossers as scapegoats.

It is a classic straw man argument: Assert that critics of President Biden’s open borders policies are unfairly blaming migrants for America’s opioid crisis in order to deflect attention from the actual harm being caused by millions of people pouring across the border.

A really long article published by CBS News, “Fentanyl seizures rise at the U.S.-Mexico border – here’s why,” takes great care to explain that 84 percent of the fentanyl seized entering the U.S. in FY 2022 was actually coming right through legal ports of entry. Moreover, between 2017 and 2021, 86 percent of the smugglers were U.S. citizens (a disturbing fact that indicates that the Mexican drug cartels have established a vast network of operatives on our side of the border).

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2023/02/06/open-borders-advocates-use-semantic-straw-man-deny-fentanyl-crisis-and-migration
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson