Author Topic: Bill Gates: AI Can Help Solve ‘Digital Misinformation’ Problem  (Read 339 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Bill Gates: AI Can Help Solve ‘Digital Misinformation’ Problem

American Businessman Bill Gates attends a discussion during the 'Munich Security Conference' in Munich, Germany, Friday, Feb. 18, 2022. (AP Photo/Michael Probst)AP Photo/Michael Probst
ROBERT KRAYCHIK12 Feb 20231,721
2:17
Microsoft founder and billionaire Bill Gates said AI should be considered as a tool to combat “digital misinformation” and “political polarization” in an interview published on Thursday with Handelsblatt, a German news media outlet.

In response to a question about the spreading of “misinformation” via AI, Gates referred to the events of January 6, 2021, as an “attack on the Capitol. He said:

I’m certainly concerned about political polarization, and I know the U.S. situation best of all. I wouldn’t have expected people to attack the Capitol, or people to deny the validity of election results. I‘m in a state of shock about that.

We can’t blame AI for that. That happened. It may have been magnified by digital channels that allow various conspiracy theories like QAnon or whatever to be blasted out by people who wanted to believe those things. So, the digital tools may have played an auxiliary role.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2023/02/12/bill-gates-ai-can-help-solve-digital-misinformation-problem/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Bill Gates: AI Can Help Solve ‘Digital Misinformation’ Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 01:20:47 pm »
Gee, I wonder if he has been investing heavily in AI technology? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 03:09:43 pm »
Like the bot that flagged two peer reviewed medical journal article links to articles in the NIH library on Fecebbook when I posted them? That kind of AI?

Let the machine (actually the programmers) censor the humans?

F**k Skynet. We've all seen the movie and know where this leads.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 03:21:32 pm »
The problem with any censoring is that there must be a decider.

And the only speech that matters is speech in opposition.

When the PTB are the deciders, what happens to speech in opposition?

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 04:31:47 pm »
Wrong, AI will perpetuate digital misinformation problem.  It is computer algorithms which are amplifying and evangelizing extremism so Big Tech can earn more ad revenue.

Misinformation is not a digital problem; it is an analog problem that is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

Organic power lust and avarice will trump artificial intelligence.

"It doesn't matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 05:28:33 pm »
Bullshit.  Just ask anyone who's been on the wrong end of an AI-based facial recognition system.  Or review the nonsense that comes out of ChatGPT.

Any AI system will almost always reflect the biases and prejudices of its designers and trainers, and that will certainly be the case for any AI developed to weed out so-called disinformation.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 05:36:59 pm »
Bullshit.  Just ask anyone who's been on the wrong end of an AI-based facial recognition system.  Or review the nonsense that comes out of ChatGPT.

Any AI system will almost always reflect the biases and prejudices of its designers and trainers, and that will certainly be the case for any AI developed to weed out so-called disinformation.

Necessarily, as its designers and trainers will be certain to put it back on track if it begins to develop thinking that runs against the desired narrative - There are already plentiful examples of that.