Author Topic: Space dust as Earth’s sun shield  (Read 163 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Space dust as Earth’s sun shield
« on: February 15, 2023, 01:09:20 pm »
NEWS RELEASE 8-FEB-2023
Space dust as Earth’s sun shield

Dust launched from the moon’s surface or from a space station positioned between Earth and the sun could reduce enough solar radiation to mitigate the impacts of climate change.

Peer-Reviewed Publication
UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

CREDIT: BEN BROMLEY/UNIVERSITY OF UTAH

On a cold winter day, the warmth of the sun is welcome. Yet as humanity emits more and more greenhouse gases, the Earth'satmosphere traps more and more of the sun's energy and steadily increases the Earth's temperature. One strategy for reversing this trend is to intercept a fraction of sunlight before it reaches our planet. For decades, scientists have considered using screens, objects or dust particles to block just enough of the sun’s radiation—between 1 or 2%—to mitigate the effects of global warming.

A University of Utah-led study explored the potential of using dust to shield sunlight. They analyzed different properties of dust particles, quantities of dust and the orbits that would be best suited for shading Earth. The authors found that launching dustfrom Earth to a way station at the “Lagrange Point” between Earth and the sun (L1) would be most effective but would require astronomical cost and effort. An alternative is to use moondust. The authors argue that launching lunar dust from the moon instead could be a cheap and effective way to shade the Earth.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/978886
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Space dust as Earth’s sun shield
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 01:10:31 pm »
Why do I feel Bill Gates has something to do with these "findings?"  Could it be because he has advocated seeding the atmosphere with plastic particles?:pondering:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 01:11:58 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Space dust as Earth’s sun shield
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 01:10:59 pm »
And a good way to make most orbits around the Earth permanently useless for most satellites.

On the other hand, there would be spectacular meteor showers from time to time.