Author Topic: South Dakota governor bans gender-related medical treatments for minors  (Read 268 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

South Dakota governor bans gender-related medical treatments for minors
UPI, Feb 14, 2023

Feb. 14 (UPI) -- South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem has signed a bill into law that bans hormone therapy and surgical procedures for minors seeking gender-related healthcare in the state.

House bill 1080, which will take effect July 1, outlaws several specific medical treatments, including sterilization and reconstructive surgeries, the administration of any drug that inhibits normal puberty; testosterone, estrogen or progesterone injections; and anyone under 18 is prohibited from receiving prescription drugs that promote gender transition.

"South Dakota's kids are our future," Noem said Monday before signing the bill. "With this legislation, we are protecting kids from harmful, permanent medical procedures. I will always stand up for the next generation of South Dakotans."

Violating the law could lead to civil legal penalties, and worse, providers could lose their licenses to practice healthcare in the state.

The move by South Dakota is the latest in a wider Republican effort nationwide to target LGBTQ rights, including gender-affirming care for minors.

Utah Gov. Spencer Cox signed a similar law in late January, which bans surgical procedures that alter sex characteristics on minors.

Last April, Alabama made it a felony for doctors to provide gender-affirming care to minors, and the Florida Department of Health barred social transition care for children who identify as transgender or gender diverse.

A total of 93 similar bills to restrict LGBTQ access to healthcare are being considered in state legislatures across the country, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/02/14/south-dakota-governor-KristiNoem-bans-gender-therapy-for-minors/2121676372799/

Offline LMAO

Re: South Dakota governor bans gender-related medical treatments for minors
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 01:42:37 pm »
How many people ever believed that this country would descend so low that we actually need to have laws to ban life altering surgeries for minors without parents permission?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 01:56:52 pm »
How many people ever believed that this country would descend so low that we actually need to have laws to ban life altering surgeries for minors without parents permission?

Not I.  At least not in my lifetime.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 02:21:10 pm »
Another one.  :thumbsup:

Idaho House Republicans Pass Transgender-Surgery Ban for Minors
Washington Free Beacon, Feb 15, 2023

The Idaho House of Representatives passed a bill on Tuesday banning transgender surgeries and medications for minors, marking just the latest red state to push for bans on the controversial treatments.

"The Vulnerable Child Protective Act," introduced by Rep. Bruce Skaug (R.), will now move forward to the state Senate. The proposed legislation expands an existing ban on "female genital mutilation," making it a felony to administer puberty blockers or cross-sex hormones to a child, or to perform surgery to "alter the appearance of or affirm the child's perception of the child's sex."

"We do not allow minors to get tattoos, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, sign legal documents, why would we allow them to make the decision to cut away healthy bodily organs, and open the road to chemical castration at age 12?" Skaug said during a committee hearing.

https://freebeacon.com/latest-news/idaho-house-republicans-pass-transgender-surgery-ban-for-minors/