Author Topic: National K-12 teacher shortage due to education colleges pushing 'radical philosophy', expert argues  (Read 228 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
National K-12 teacher shortage due to education colleges pushing 'radical philosophy', expert argues

Data show that American schools had at least 163,000 underqualified teachers and at least 36,000 vacant teaching positions, though these are only 'conservative estimates.'

'Colleges of education are captured by ‘critical pedagogy,' Fordham Institute Senior Fellow Daniel Buck told Campus Reform.

Blake Boudreaux '25 | Virginia Campus Correspondent
February 14, 2023

K-12 teacher shortages are a top concern for higher education leaders, according to a new report from the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO).

Approximately 95% of the SHEEO members surveyed indicated that K-12 shortages were an “important” or “very important” issue, tying first with economic and workforce development based on its importance to respondents.

Daniel Buck,  a teacher and a senior visiting fellow at the Fordham Institute, told Campus Reform that the evidence of whether there is a teacher shortage is “murky,” though he is critical of current trends that could “push teachers out” of K-12 education.

“Colleges of education are captured by ‘critical pedagogy,’” he told Campus Reform. Buck defined “critical pedagogy” as “a radical philosophy of education that sees schools as centers for activism” and said that its effects include “politicized curriculum, increasing responsibilities on teachers, [and] behavioral mayhem.”

https://campusreform.org/article?id=21296
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Left leaning policies would include a decrease in discipline in schools, also.  It has long been known children can't learn where they don't feel safe. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson