Author Topic: U.S. tells Ukraine it won’t send long-range missiles because it has few to spare  (Read 356 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
U.S. tells Ukraine it won’t send long-range missiles because it has few to spare

Paul McLeary, Lara Seligman and Alexander Ward
Mon, February 13, 2023 at 5:03 PM CST

The Biden administration has given its Ukrainian counterparts another reason for not sending them much-wanted long-range missiles: The U.S. is concerned it wouldn’t have enough for itself.

In recent meetings at the Pentagon, U.S. officials told Kyiv’s representatives that it doesn’t have any Army Tactical Missile Systems to spare, according to four people with knowledge of the talks. Transferring ATACMS to the battlefield in eastern Europe would dwindle America’s stockpiles and harm the U.S. military’s readiness for a future fight, the people said.

That worry, along with the administration’s existing concern that Ukraine would use the 190-mile range missiles to attack deep inside Russian territory and cross what the Kremlin has said is a red line, is why the U.S. isn’t shipping ATACMS to the frontlines any time soon.

The Pentagon’s assessment of its stockpiles is informed in part by how many weapons and munitions planners think they might need to confront an enemy. Those plans have not been significantly revised since the start of the war in Ukraine, and have not recalibrated what the stockpiles the U.S. might need in reserve to face a weakened Russia, or account for the fact that Ukraine is essentially fighting that war right now.

One of the reasons the military is hesitant to send the ATACMS is due to a desire to maintain a certain level of munitions in U.S. stockpiles, said one U.S. official, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive military calculations.

“With any package, we always consider our readiness and our own stocks while providing Ukraine what it needs on the battlefield,” said a senior DoD official. “There are other ways of providing Ukraine with the capabilities it needs to strike the targets.”

more
https://news.yahoo.com/u-tells-ukraine-won-t-230330632.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 :facepalm: :facepalm2: ***suicide*** 888mouth

I guess when you have been selling secrets for decades, the phrase "National Security" has lost all meaning.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 06:30:59 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

:facepalm: :facepalm2: ***suicide*** 888mouth

I guess when you have been selling secrets for decades, the phrase "National Security" has lost all meaning.

Yup.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Biden; "We can't give to you cuz we need them to pop balloons, No joke."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

We had enough stuff to fight two wars simulataneously - Afghanistan, Iraq - and defend the homefront.

Um, can't we make more?

Isn't Russia one of the many nations the military plans for conflict with?

Here we go, another American stab in the back to a nation we provided false hope to.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 04:47:25 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright