Author Topic: California Bill Would Ban Student Suspensions for Defying Teachers, Disrupting Classes  (Read 561 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California Bill Would Ban Student Suspensions for Defying Teachers, Disrupting Classes

By Micaela Ricaforte
February 10, 2023Updated: February 10, 2023

A California Senate bill introduced last week would ban schools from suspending students who disrupt class or defy teachers—known as willful defiance suspensions.

Senate Bill 274 introduced by Sen. Nancy Skinner (D-Berkeley) said such suspensions lead to students dropping out and exacerbate learning loss at a time when many are still behind due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Skinner also said such suspensions disproportionately affect Black male students, citing a 2018 study that reported they are three times more likely to be suspended for willful defiance than the statewide average.

“SB 274 is based on a simple premise: students belong in school,” Skinner said in a Feb. 1 press release. “Instead of kicking them out of school, we owe it to students to figure out what’s causing them to act out and help them fix it.”

The new bill builds on Skinner’s 2019 now-passed legislation, which permanently banned willful defiance suspensions statewide for grades TK–5 and those for grades 6–8 until 2025.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/california-bill-would-ban-student-suspensions-for-defying-teachers-disrupting-classes_5050316.html?utm_source=partner&utm_campaign=BonginoReport&src_src=partner&src_cmp=BonginoReport
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California really gets it when it comes to improving student performance. :3:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Unless they disagree with the LGBTQSNAFUBAR trans cult catechism - then they will be immediately executed.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Kamaji

Offline DB

Never mind the rest of the student's educations...

Everything must serve the lowest common denominator...

Offline Kamaji

Never mind the rest of the student's educations...

Everything must serve the lowest common denominator...

Exactly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Try this, then try public floggings instead of suspensions.

I dare y'all.

See which is most effective at maintaining order.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No discipline at all.
At least not until they assault or kill somebody.

Who would want to "teach" in an environment like that?