Author Topic: Urbanization Effects on GHCN Temperature Trends, Part II: Evidence that Homogenization Spuriously Wa  (Read 147 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Urbanization Effects on GHCN Temperature Trends, Part II: Evidence that Homogenization Spuriously Warms Trends

February 7th, 2023 by Roy W. Spencer, Ph. D.

In Part I I showed the Landsat satellite-based measurements of urbanization around the Global Historical Climate Network (GHCN) land temperature-monitoring stations. Virtually all of the GHCN stations have experienced growth in the coverage of human settlement “built-up” (BU) structures.

As an example of this growth, here is the 40-year change in BU values (which range from 0 to 100%) at 1 km spatial resolution over the Southeast United States.

Fig. 1. The 40-year change in urbanization over the Southeast U.S. between 1975 and 2014.
How has this change in urbanization been expressed at the GHCN stations distributed around the world? Fig. 2 shows how urbanization has increased on average across 19,885 GHCN stations from 20N to 82.5N latitude, at various spatial averaging resolutions of the data.

https://www.drroyspencer.com/2023/02/urbanization-effects-on-ghcn-temperature-trends-part-ii-evidence-that-homogenization-spuriously-warms-trends/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson