Author Topic: The Cost of Virtue Signaling – the Impact of Doubling UK Wind Power  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Cost of Virtue Signaling – the Impact of Doubling UK Wind Power
5 hours ago Guest Blogger 57 Comments
Bill Ponton

In this article, I will quantify the cost to UK electricity customers of doubling wind power generation. This cost would be in addition to what customers are paying currently. Think of it as a premium one pays to virtue signal.

Let’s start by taking a close look at the current state of electric power generation in the UK. In 2022, the UK derived: 24% of its electric energy from wind generation, 43% from gas turbine generation and 33% from other sources such as coal, nuclear, hydro and biomass. Table 1 details the exact quantities in MWH for each power generation source. The data used to derive these quantities was downloaded from GridWatch with power generation in MW from each source observed at 2.5 min intervals [1]. Figure 1 is a stacked graph of the wind, gas turbine and other power generation. The graph is instructive in that it shows wind generation varying in magnitude over time and gas turbine generation being dispatched to offset those fluctuations.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/02/11/the-cost-of-virtue-signaling-the-impact-of-doubling-uk-wind-power/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson