Author Topic: The Nation Flounders on Miami Sea-Level Rise Story  (Read 118 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Nation Flounders on Miami Sea-Level Rise Story
« on: February 10, 2023, 12:15:12 pm »
The Nation Flounders on Miami Sea-Level Rise Story
By Heartland Institute -February 8, 20230

By Sterling Burnett and Anthony Watts

A recent debate in The Nation claimed Miami should either make plans to evacuate from the Florida coast or become the model of adaptation in response to rapidly rising sea levels from climate change and the refugees that will result from it. The story is not just false, it is laughably inept. There is no evidence the United States faces the loss of any major coastal city due to climate change or that climate change has or will create climate refugees.

The Nation published an exchange between by Daniel Aldana Cohen and Samantha Schuyler titled “Should We Start Preparing for the Evacuation of Miami?”

Cohen, an assistant professor of sociology at UC Berkeley, premises his whole argument for abandoning Miami on the claim that, like residents, refugees arriving there will soon have no place to live, with evacuation setting a good example for other cities, writing:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/02/10/the-nation-flounders-on-miami-sea-level-rise-story/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson