Author Topic: Russia’s New START Breach Means U.S. Nuclear Weapons Modernization Is A Must  (Read 68 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Russia’s New START Breach Means U.S. Nuclear Weapons Modernization Is A Must

By Patty-Jane Geller
Published1 hour ago

Russia is certainly consistent. It violated the INF Treaty. It violated the Open Skies Treaty. And now, the State Department reports, it is in non-compliance with the New START agreement—the very last arms control treaty in place.

When U.S. President Joe Biden took office, he agreed to extend New START through 2026 despite its flaws. While New START limits the total number of warheads the U.S. and Russia can deploy on their strategic launchers, it does not limit Russia’s growing stockpile of tactical nuclear weapons, nor its new and novel capabilities such as nuclear-armed hypersonic weapons and the Poseidon underwater drone.

Even with these advantages, Moscow once again has shown its total disregard for international security commitments. By failing to convene a Bilateral Consultative Commission — a forum to discuss issues related to treaty implementation — and refusing to allow required inspections of its nuclear forces, it leaves the State Department with no confidence that Moscow has remained within the New START limit of no more than 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads throughout 2022.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2023/02/russias-new-start-breach-means-u-s-nuclear-weapons-modernization-is-a-must/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:25:01 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson