Author Topic: Dem-Led City Reports Highest Violent Crime Rate In 15 Years After Defunding Police  (Read 145 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Dem-Led City Reports Highest Violent Crime Rate In 15 Years After Defunding Police
Like Many U.S. Cities, Seattle Struggles With Crime And Homelessness During Pandemic Era
John Moore/Getty Images

TREVOR SCHAKOHL
LEGAL REPORTER
February 07, 2023
12:21 PM ET
FONT SIZE:

Seattle’s violent crime rate rose to its highest point in 15 years in 2022, with reported homicides surging by about 24% compared to 2021, according to the Seattle Police Department’s (SPD) Year-End Crime Report, more than a year after the city cut its police budget.

Rapes and aggravated assaults increased by about 4% and 5% respectively, contributing to 5,591 total reported violent offenses, a roughly 4% spike, the report shows. Though arson and burglaries declined, 1,596 more motor vehicle thefts were reported, and Seattle ended up with an around 4% higher overall crime in 2022 despite a fourth-quarter reduction.

Seattle’s City Council reduced SPD funding by almost 17% in its 2021 budget following the George Floyd protests of summer 2020. The city’s 2023 budget funds Democratic Mayor Bruce Harrell’s officer recruitment and retention plan but eliminates 30 unfilled SPD positions, The Seattle Times reported.

https://dailycaller.com/2023/02/07/seattle-violent-crime-15-year-high/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson