Author Topic: Democratic lawmakers in Oregon want to make 60,000 immigrants eligible for cash food assistance  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Democratic lawmakers in Oregon want to make 60,000 immigrants eligible for cash food assistance
By Lynne Terry / Oregon Capital Chronicle
Published February 7, 2023 at 3:59 PM PST

In 2021, two Oregon nonprofits involved in food aid launched a campaign to extend food assistance to people excluded from federal food benefits.

As of Monday, about 75 other nonprofits have joined the Oregon Food Bank and Partners for a Hunger Free Oregon to back a proposal in the state Legislature. Senate Bill 610, sponsored by 17 Democratic lawmakers, including Wlnsvey Campos of Aloha and James Manning Jr. of Eugene, would distribute monthly payments to people who don’t qualify for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which is administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Currently, more than 170,000 people in Oregon receive SNAP benefits, which will average about $270 a month per household starting next month. To qualify, individuals can earn up to $2,265 a month and a family of three can make up to $3,838 a month.

Undocumented immigrants are excluded, as are residents under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA. And certain non-citizens have a waiting period before becoming eligible, according to the USDA.

The coalition backing the bill says more than 60,000 people in Oregon would qualify for SNAP if they had the proper residency documents.

Their exclusion is not right, Campos said.

https://www.ijpr.org/politics-government/2023-02-07/democratic-lawmakers-in-oregon-want-to-make-60-000-immigrants-eligible-for-cash-food-assistance
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
What is wrong with the great liberal state of Oregon.  Have they gone chinzy?  Why don't they provide housing with insurance and all furnishings, medical care, 2 cars in every garage with gas and insurance, TVs, phones and costs, income, clothing, and booze; for everyone but Americans, of course? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson