Author Topic: Quebec minister ‘surprised’ asylum seekers given free bus tickets from New York City  (Read 128 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Quebec minister ‘surprised’ asylum seekers given free bus tickets from New York City
By Morgan Lowrie and Marie-Ève Martel  The Canadian Press
Posted February 6, 2023 3:45 pm
 Updated February 6, 2023 7:49 pm

Quebec government conflicted over closing unofficial border crossing at Roxham Road

News that the City of New York is providing free bus tickets to migrants heading north to claim asylum in Canada highlights an urgent need to address the situation at the border, Quebec’s immigration minister said Monday.

Speaking to reporters in Montreal, Christine Fréchette called the report “surprising.” She said Ottawa needs to “solve the problem of Roxham Road,” which is an unofficial border crossing south of Montreal used by tens of thousands of people last year to claim asylum.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams told Fox 5 on Monday that his administration helps in the “re-ticketing process” for people who arrive in the city but want to go elsewhere. He has previously said the city was being overwhelmed with new arrivals, and he has criticized the practice of some U.S. governors who transport migrants straight from the southern border to the city.

On Monday, Adams told the news station that the city does not push or force people to leave, but some express a desire to move on to other places, including Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/9465188/quebec-surprised-asylum-seekers-given-free-bus-tickets-new-york-city/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson