Author Topic: How West Point can help inspire leaders  (Read 171 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How West Point can help inspire leaders
« on: February 05, 2023, 02:37:37 pm »
How West Point can help inspire leaders
By Tom Lough
 Thursday, Feb 2

Cadets from the United States Military Academy are participating in pre-game activities for the Army versus Navy Football game on 11 Dec. 2021 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Megan Hackett/Army)
I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the timely, focused, and significant article by Brig. Gen. Shane Reeves, “Educating future US Army officers to fight and win. We must remain committed to the concept of the informed soldier, a trait that is made possible by our dedication to the individual freedom that our country offers. Reeves’ commentary brings this concept into sharp focus at both the strategic and the tactical levels.

I would like to offer to Army Times readers an amplification of the article’s message. In the statement, “West Point cannot, and will not, fail in its mission to educate and train thinking officers,” the author focuses on two significant components of the academy’s focus. An amplified perspective refers to all three focus components of the current United States Military Academy mission: " … to educate, train, and inspire the Corps of Cadets …”

The concept of inspiration as an additional mission imperative was addressed by Lt. Gen. Steven Gilland, the current U.S. Military Academy at West Point superintendent in the Fall 2022 issue of West Point Magazine. He wrote, “…the ‘inspire’ aspect of our mission statement is critically important. While education and training prepare us to serve, inspiration helps define why we serve, underpinned by our values, ideals, and shared commitment to support and defend the Constitution.”

https://www.armytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2023/02/03/how-west-point-can-help-inspire-leaders/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: How West Point can help inspire leaders
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 02:40:30 pm »
The best way would be to throw out everything to do with wokeness and start being a military again instead of a social club. *look*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 03:15:45 pm »
The best way would be to throw out everything to do with wokeness and start being a military again instead of a social club. *look*

:thumbsup:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 04:45:09 pm »
We had a conversation with a USMA employee many years ago. She said the arriving freshmen are more and more out of shape, and the notion of spending any time outdoors or engaging in physical exercise is completely foreign to them. I guess that's what happens with a generation raised on video games and Hot Pockets. In addition, they've been sufficiently indoctrinated into wokeness by their public schools K-12, so they really can't think for themselves by the time they arrive at West Point.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org