Author Topic: DARPA wants a heavy cargo plane that can land at sea  (Read 141 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DARPA wants a heavy cargo plane that can land at sea
« on: February 05, 2023, 02:24:30 pm »

Air Warfare
DARPA wants a heavy cargo plane that can land at sea
By Stephen Losey
 Thursday, Feb 2

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has chosen General Atomics and Aurora Flight Sciences to design an experimental heavy transport aircraft that could land and take off at sea. General Atomics' design has an unusual dual-hull design. (General Atomics)
WASHINGTON — The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency has tapped two companies to design, and possibly build, an experimental seaplane that can transport large amounts of cargo on the water.

General Atomics and Aurora Flight Sciences, a subsidiary of Boeing, will develop their own competing designs for DARPA’s mobility seaplane program, DARPA said Wednesday. DARPA has dubbed this program the Liberty Lifter Seaplane Wing-in-Ground Effect, or Liberty Lifter for short.

DARPA wants this aircraft to be a long-range, low-cost aircraft around the same size and capacity as the C-17 Globemaster, which can carry more than 170,000 pounds of cargo, including a 69-ton M1 Abrams main battle tank, armored vehicles, trucks or trailers. The C-17 can also carry and airdrop 102 paratroopers and their gear, 34 patients on litters, or 54 ambulatory patients and their attendants.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2023/02/02/darpa-wants-a-heavy-cargo-plane-that-can-land-at-sea/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: DARPA wants a heavy cargo plane that can land at sea
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2023, 02:25:34 pm »
All these neat toys - and not enough people to use them. **nononono*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: DARPA wants a heavy cargo plane that can land at sea
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 03:51:01 pm »
Howard Hughes, pick up the white courtesy phone...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis