Author Topic: Is the U.S. Navy’s New Columbia-Class Missile Submarine In Trouble?  (Read 119 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Is the U.S. Navy’s New Columbia-Class Missile Submarine In Trouble?
Story by Peter Suciu • Yesterday 5:11 PM

Columbia-Class Missile Submarine In Trouble? The United States Navy should expect delays in delivering the first Columbia-class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) warned last month.

Though the service had hoped to have the first of the boats delivered in record time, the federal watchdog has suggested it isn't likely to happen due to a lack of schedule risk analysis, which could help identify and manage risks to achieving planned delivery dates.

The U.S. Navy is currently planning to spend $132 billion to develop and purchase a dozen of the Columbia-class boats – the largest and most complex submarines in its history. The plans had called for the first one to be delivered in April 2027.  The submarines have been a top priority for the Navy, and construction began on the future USS Columbia (SSBN-826) on October 1, 2020, while the full class of twelve boats is meant to replace the aging Ohio-class submarines beginning at the end of the decade.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is-the-u-s-navy-s-new-columbia-class-missile-submarine-in-trouble/ar-AA175DDG?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=cbfa8e62194f4d1b8aa0af5c092f00d4
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Is the U.S. Navy’s New Columbia-Class Missile Submarine In Trouble?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 04:04:35 pm »
It may as well be.  Everything else military related is! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson