Author Topic: How Global Has Biden’s Border Fiasco Gone?  (Read 164 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How Global Has Biden’s Border Fiasco Gone?
« on: February 02, 2023, 12:16:19 pm »
How Global Has Biden’s Border Fiasco Gone?
We can’t control events in Sri Lanka and Uzbekistan; it’s time for Biden to comply with Congress’ mandates at the Southwest border

By Andrew R. Arthur on February 1, 2023

In a recent post, I analyzed shifts in focus of the Biden administration’s migration policies, from targeting “root causes” for migration from the “Northern Triangle” countries of El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras to offering extra-legal bribes in the form of “parole” to nationals of Venezuela, Nicaragua, Haiti, and Cuba. The problem with these strategies is that they focus exclusively on “push factors” that encourage migrants to leave home, while ignoring the more significant “pull factors” drawing them to the United States — the most significant being the administration’s refusal to impose consequences (like detention and prosecution) on illegal entrants and enticements in the form of lavish housing and welfare benefits in “sanctuary” jurisdictions for them here. The futility of this push factor strategy is best exemplified by the breathtaking sweep of nationals who are now arriving at our Southwest border.

The Admissions Process and the Grounds of Inadmissibility. The primary focus of every administration’s border strategy — prior to the current one — was on deterring migrants from entering the United States illegally.

In this, those administrations were taking their lead from Congress — the branch that, in our constitutional order, determines which foreign nationals are allowed to enter the country, and which are barred from entry and/or are required to leave. As the Supreme Court has explained:

https://cis.org/Arthur/How-Global-Has-Bidens-Border-Fiasco-Gone
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: How Global Has Biden’s Border Fiasco Gone?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 12:17:25 pm »
We probably have more countries represented here than the UN.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis