Author Topic: Those attacks on gas stoves aren't really about health  (Read 206 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Those attacks on gas stoves aren't really about health
« on: February 02, 2023, 11:53:21 am »
Those attacks on gas stoves aren't really about health
Opinion by Steve Goreham • Yesterday 12:01 AM

Earlier this month, the Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that indoor gas stoves emit harmful pollution and that a ban on selling new ones was, to quote one of the agency's commissioners, "on the table."

Several studies claim that the use of gas can cause respiratory illness. The CPSC is considering restrictions on gas stoves, including possible bans in new residential construction. But attacks on gas stoves are based on questionable science and are largely driven by concerns not related to health.

The CPSC has reportedly been considering actions on gas stoves since October. Richard Trumka Jr., a CPSC commissioner, stated, “This is a hidden hazard. Any option is on the table. Products that can’t be made safe can be banned.” Two recent studies figure prominently in agency concerns. The first, published in January last year by Eric Lebel and others, found that gas stoves and ovens emit hazardous levels of methane and nitrogen dioxide. The second, published in December last year by Talor Gruenwald and others, estimated that 12.7% of childhood asthma cases in the U.S. were due to gas stove use.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/those-attacks-on-gas-stoves-aren-t-really-about-health/ar-AA16YeZN?ocid=FinanceShimLayer
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

Re: Those attacks on gas stoves aren't really about health
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 12:21:30 am »
Of course they’re not.