Author Topic: GAO finds Navy ships having more problems, less steaming time over past decade  (Read 258 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
GAO finds Navy ships having more problems, less steaming time over past decade
Navy officials told GAO that supply chain shortages, worsened by COVID-19, have only made things more difficult.
By   JUSTIN KATZ
on January 31, 2023 at 2:31 PM

WASHINGTON — The Navy’s inability to dig itself out of its ship maintenance issues means upkeep costs to the government have risen by $2.5 billion while ship steaming hours have decreased over the last decade, according to government auditors.

“Our analysis of key metrics shows the 10 ship classes we reviewed face persistent sustainment challenges that have worsened from fiscal year 2011 through 2021,” according to a Government Accountability Office report published today. GAO produced the report in response to “continued” congressional interest as well as specific provisions in the FY21 National Defense Authorization Act.

For the report, auditors examined the operating and support (O&S) costs from the past decade of various cruisers, carriers, destroyers, littoral combat ships and amphibious vessels. Between the 151 ships included in the report, auditors found the Pentagon spent approximately $17 billion in FY20 in O&S costs, a $2.5 billion increase from the same bills in FY11.

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/01/gao-finds-navy-ships-having-more-problems-less-steaming-time-over-past-decade/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Perhaps crews should be spending more time studying repair manuals and less time reading CRT! *hmmmm*
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up."

--Scotty
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ironhorsedriver

They just recently were bragging that the Ford just completed her first deployment, about a month. Hell, we did Carrier Quals longer than that on a WWII era carrier in the 70's. Spent over 90 days on the line on one 10 month deployment.

Online berdie

"The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up."

--Scotty

If you can't fix it...screw it up so badly noone else can.

A Plumber I once knew.