Author Topic: Why Military Leaders Need to Rethink Battlefield Intelligence in a Smartphone Era  (Read 73 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Military Leaders Need to Rethink Battlefield Intelligence in a Smartphone Era
Ukraine is using data derived from Russian smartphones to target missile strikes. Smartphones, as well as social media, are transforming battlefield intelligence.

Blog Post by Maya Villasenor, Guest Contributor
January 31, 2023 12:12 pm (EST)

Ukrainian forces recently leveraged Russian phone signals to strike a temporary base in the occupied city of Makiivka, killing dozens (or more—the toll is highly disputed). The Russian Defense Ministry subsequently issued a rare statement attributing the unprecedented loss to the widespread, albeit unauthorized, use of personal phones. While powered on, the phones had been pinging Ukraine’s cellular network, allowing Ukrainian forces to triangulate precise location information.

Russia is rumored to have similarly exploited roaming signals to track Ukrainians by equipping trucks and drones with cell-site simulators. Between 2014 and 2016, Russian hacking group Fancy Bear (APT 28) purportedly followed Ukrainian artillery movements using Android malware.

The universal adoption of smartphones, as well as social media, has revolutionized the dynamics of surveillance, especially in theater. Social media requires few intermediaries, meaning that members of the armed forces can—and do—use smartphones to participate in online dialogue without oversight. More data—such as locations, and information about habits, health, relationships, religious beliefs, and more—is being generated and shared than ever before. Although militaries often instruct soldiers in the field not to utilize personal phones, the rules are regularly ignored.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/why-military-leaders-need-rethink-battlefield-intelligence-smartphone-era
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson