General Category > Elections 2024

Trump ramps up his war on 'Ron DeSanctimonious'

(1/16) > >>

Maj. Bill Martin:

--- Quote ---Trump ramps up his war on 'Ron DeSanctimonious': Ex-president now accuses Florida governor of 'unapologetically' shutting down state and its beaches during COVID and calls him a 'globalist' as 2024 rivalry heats up

Donald Trump lambasted Florida's governor as 'Ron DeSanctimonious' on Sunday night, punctuating the end of a weekend that saw the former president go in hard against his potential 2024 Republican rival.

In a pair of posts on his Truth Social app, Trump wheeled out the nickname twice as he accused DeSantis of being a 'globalist' and having 'shut down Florida and its beaches' during the COVID-19 pandemic.

His return to using the monicker is a sign that the ex-president is ready for all-out political warfare against his burgeoning rival. DeSantis has not formally declared a White House bid, but his refusal to rule one out in this coming election cycle has infuriated Trump....

Speaking to reporters on his campaign plane that day, Trump issued a public warning to DeSantis that it would be 'disloyal' for him to run in 2024.

He wrote on Truth Social hours later, 'The revelations about Ron DeSanctimonious doing FAR WORSE than many other Republican governors, including that he unapologetically shut down Florida and its beaches, was interesting, indeed.

Trump added, referring to himself in the third person: 'DJT leading BIG!!!'....

Ron DeSanctimonious, who I made Governor in BOTH the Primary & the General, is also a Globalist, & so are his donors.'
--- End quote ---

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11692451/donald-trump-ron-desantis-globalist.html

Fortunately, I think DeSantis believes his loyalty flows to the country as a whole before Trump, and should run if he believes he's the better candidate.

I also think it is pretty amazing that Trump is calling out DeSantis for Covid.  Trump pretty much passed the buck completely to Fauci and his aides, and other than saying he didn't believe in mandatory vaccines, didn't provide squat in the way of guidance to the states.  Most likely because he figured that if he didn't say anything, nobody could accuse him of being wrong.

DeSantis did shut down Florida very early on, which was probably prudent given the early uncertainty and Florida's disproportionately high percentage of elderly.  But I think every Republican -- except perhaps Trump -- also remembers that Florida was one of the first states to lift those restrictions, and that DeSantis took massive crap from the left nationally for doing so.  They accused him of actually murdering his state's residents:

https://www.theroot.com/floridians-does-ron-desantis-want-to-kill-you-or-does-1847459632

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-coronavirus-florida-desantis-spin-ss-prem-20201203-tyjmgkos6bd7vo7vnripqliany-htmlstory.html

https://www.foxnews.com/media/nyts-krugman-blasted-blaming-desantis-unnecessary-covid-19-deaths-hack-partisan-buffoon

Fortunately, I think these kind of attacks on DeSantis just diminish Trump in the eyes of most voters, and help DeSantis.

Wingnut:
Trump is a chump to begin with and its even worse when he attacks the best Gov in the US.  I wish he would crawl back to his Mar-A-logo cave and lock the gates.

mystery-ak:

--- Quote from: Wingnut on January 31, 2023, 05:08:48 pm ---Trump is a chump to begin with and its even worse when he attacks the best Gov in the US.  I wish he would crawl back to his Mar-A-logo cave and lock the gates.

--- End quote ---

DITTO!

Maj. Bill Martin:
DeSantis' people must love it every time Trump drops "DeSanctimonious", because all it does it remind people of Trump's own flaws.  He just can't stop letting his mouth be driven by his own emotions, regardless of whether or not it helps his campaign.  It's one of the reasons so many people have decided they want to move on from him.

And DeSantis is showing how to run against Trump.  Just ignore him, and let his own words and actions discredit him.  No reason to alienate Trump's supporters by saying bad things about him because Trump's negatives already are well known.

Bigun:
If Trump is not trying to drive me back into my original never Trump stance, he's doing a damned poor job of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version