Author Topic: Record Defense Budget Flunks the China Test  (Read 64 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Record Defense Budget Flunks the China Test
« on: January 31, 2023, 04:28:13 pm »
Record Defense Budget Flunks the China Test
By Jeffrey Jeb Nadaner
January 31, 2023

One consolation of the $1.7 trillion 2023 spending bill was a bipartisan Congress providing several tens of billions of dollars over the President’s narrow defense request.  While most lines of that $858 billion defense appropriation are necessary, it fails in its totality.  The record budget folds before our most important national security test:  to rescue our precarious Pacific posture.

The bill rightly seeds pioneering capabilities that will be fielded in quantities in the 2030s.  It refills Ukraine-depleted stockpiles, but these weapons, however, are generally short-range and of lesser utility vis-Ă -vis China.

In the vast waters between Hawaii and Shanghai, mid-to-long range strike forms the sine-qua-non of deterrence.  Our current stores are miserable, the planned step increases off the mark.  The 2023 budget funds just a little more than a thousand new mid-to-long range conventional missiles, to add to our inventories:  approximately 80 Long Range Anti-Ship Missiles (LRASMs), 600 Joint Air-to-Surface Standoff Missiles (JASSMs), 90 Extended Range HARMs (AARGM-ERs), 100 Naval Strike Missiles (NSMs), and 150 Tomahawks.

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2023/01/31/record_defense_budget_flunks_the_china_test_878724.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson