Author Topic: A Smart Sight Provides Tactical Operators with Counter-Drone Overmatch at Long Range  (Read 104 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Smart Sight Provides Tactical Operators with Counter-Drone Overmatch at Long Range
By Tamir Eshel -Jan 11, 2023687

After less than three years of development, Smartshooter has reached the final milestone of the Individual Weapon Overmatch Optic (IWOO) program, successfully passing the system’s Technology Readiness Review (TRR). The program began in February 2020, as the Department of Defence ASD SO/LIC’s ’Irregular Warfare Technical Support Directorate (IWTSD) selected the Israeli company Smartshooter to develop the solution for IWOO. The goal was to provide tactical operators with overmatch capability against long-range static and moving targets, both in daylight and at night.

“A few minor adjustments are being made to optimize performance; we are pleased with the progress demonstrated and look forward to conducting operational testing and evaluation using the dual-capabilities of IWOO prototypes in 2023 against ground targets at increased ranges and to take down drones,” said Michael Trexler, Special Operation Forces Combat Support Coordinator / Tactical Offensive Support Program Manager. Following the final design configuration approval, the IWOO will move into low-rate production, increasing orders for more systems as IWTSD exercises the contract procurement options.

The IWOO system automatically detects, highlights, and tracks potential targets – including drones – using a see-through display that enhances the user’s situational awareness. Built-in fire control processing continuously calculates the optimal firing solution to provide the user with clear, discreet guidance, firing only with the best chance of neutralizing the target ¬and delivering first-round hit capabilities time after time.

https://defense-update.com/20230111_iwoo.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson