Author Topic: Afghan soldier says he will live the “American dream” after being released from immigration detentio  (Read 172 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Afghan soldier says he will live the “American dream” after being released from immigration detention center
U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee’s office mounted pressure on several federal agencies earlier this month leading up to Abdul Wasi Safi’s release on Tuesday.

BY ALLISON P. ERICKSON JAN. 27, 202315 HOURS AGO

HOUSTON — Abdul Wasi Safi stirred with anxiety the first night he tried to sleep at his brother’s home.

Less than 24 hours after he was released from an immigration detention center, the Afghanistan soldier who traversed the world to escape the Taliban worried every time he heard sirens that American authorities were about to re-arrest him.

His fear would subside, as the reality that the four months he spent incarcerated after attempting to claim asylum at the Texas border were behind him. It sunk in. He really was reunited with his brother, Sami-ullah Safi, a naturalized American citizen.

“Really, they let me out!” Wasi said Friday.

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/01/27/abdul-wasi-safi-afghan-solider-reunited-with-brother-immigration/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The rep. needs to change her name.  From honoring two Civil War generals, Jackson - Stonewall and Lee - Robert E.. to something more American like Sheila Smith Jones.  If it's good enough to make the Military change names, it's good enough for her! :beer:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson